TG2 Crashes when...

Started by TheBadger, August 28, 2012, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello.

I just wanted to inform staff of a consistent crash.

When trying to import an object (.obj) TG2 will crash if when exporting the .obj from the modeler, an object layer was left soloed.

To be clear. I made an object in my modeler. This object had many object layers in the software I used to make the object.
Before exporting to check the model in TG2, I forgot to make all layers visible.

When I tried to import the object with invisible layers TG2 crashes the moment I select the object.

Im on a mac.

Not a huge deal since the problem is with the object. But I would prefer TG2 told me to do it right rather than just quit ;)

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you.
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Badger,

If you can send me the file that would be a big help. You can email it to me at jomeder@planetside.co.uk.

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

Hey Jo.

You just want the .obj & .mtl with the problem turned on. Correct?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Sent to the email you gave.
It has been eaten.

jo

Thanks Badger. I can confirm it crashes for me too and I'll take a look a more detailed look at it.

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

Hi jo.

TG2 also crashes if any part of an object has textures but others don't.

To be clear...

I made one object with two parts. The top part had no texture the bottom part did. TG2 crashes. I repeated my tests in every combination. I can confirm from my end that this is a consistent crash.
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi,

Can you also send me that model please?

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

Sure jo. as soon as I can. I deleted the original, so Ill have to throw something together quick.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

I  repeated the process of my last post exactly. TG2 did NOT crash this time.

Sorry Jo, I don't have an explanation. Have you any Idea? I am thinking a corrupt object file on my end?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Ok,

Heres another one.  :-[

In the modeling program I am using I have the option of assigning a texture to the UV of several objects at once by " grouping" objects. The objects remain separate, have there own UV map, but share a texture.
Meaning rather than loading the texture for each part of the object that uses the one texture, I load it once and the texture appears on all assigned parts.

When I attempt to load said object into TG2, TG2 crashes. But when the model had no textures it loaded fine.

The file containing the .obj and textures is 242MB. Is it possible that the file is to large to load at once? I don't think I have used a model with such a large footprint in MBs.

It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Badger,

Quote from: TheBadger on September 07, 2012, 02:46:57 PM
I  repeated the process of my last post exactly. TG2 did NOT crash this time.

Sorry Jo, I don't have an explanation. Have you any Idea? I am thinking a corrupt object file on my end?

The original file you sent me crashed because one of the values in it was completely screwy. I will fix it so values like that don't cause a problem. I don't know if it was something you did or if it was a problem on the part of the app writing the file. I would have said the app shouldn't have written a value like that to the file even if it was something you might have done which caused it. And TG shouldn't have crashed, so it's kind of a moot point :-). Not your fault though I'd say.

Regarding your latest problem it would be good to see the files. It sounds like it should work. If you're able upload the files somewhere and send me the link that would be great.

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

QuoteI don't know if it was something you did or if it was a problem on the part of the app writing the file.

It is hexagon2!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have been talking with Uponinfinity off the forum about getting started modeling. And he has been telling me about a huge number of problems that I had not run into yet. Add that to this here, and everything else I have had to deal with and I am done with Hexagon2! I have learned the basics, time to move to a program written by people with some pride!

However, If there is a way you can get the last model working in TG2 that would be outstanding! either way I'll send the file so you can strengthen TG2 against models made in free software :-[.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hi again jo,

I am sending the model to you via wetransfer.com .

In the file there are two .obj(s) "rabithole.obj" is going to show the problem when loading into TG2. The other .obj, "newhouse.obj" is a fixed version. I fixed it simply by importing the bad object into Blender and then exporting it out again. The problem was fixed automatically, though I can't explain any part of it. I included the fixed version just incase it could be of some help to you.

Thanks for everything jo, good luck.

So, if anyone is using hexagon2 and is having similar problems as me. A solution is to import the .obj into blender and export a new .obj out.

It has been eaten.

jo

Hi,

I've downloaded the file, thanks very much. I tried the "unfixed" model and the problem was essentially the same as with the other file you sent. A value in the file was outside the range it should been. So again it was written incorrectly but TG shouldn't have crashed when loading it. I will make changes so it no longer crashes, but that doesn't mean to say the model will be correct when it's loaded due to the faulty original file.

Regards,

Jo