Ver 2.4 freezing issue

Started by sjefen, April 21, 2012, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Very strange indeed. Have you tried a complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall? Have you tried rolling back to 2.3?

- Oshyan

jaf

Kind of a long shot, but do you run other cpu intense software?  Maybe it's a temperature thing.  I't amazing hot fast the cpu temperature can rise in just a few seconds.  A marginal power supply can cause similar problems.

Maybe try running a cpu intense program like prime95.  It's available free here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103/

Or try running TG2 with 1 thread minimum and 1 thread maximum.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

sjefen

I always do complete uninstall and reinstall. I didn't reboot tho. I have not tried to go back to 2.3, but I will do if none of the stuff under is any helpful.

I've thought about the CPU temperature thing so I tried with only running TG2. I've watched the temperature rise from about 38 degrees to 64 max. May this be a problem?

I should also mention that lately my computer just crashes for no reason. I get this blue screen where it says it's dumping physical memory or something. This has only been a problem these last days and it is not the same as what happens with TG, but I think one or more of my memory chips are defect. Could this cause the problems I'm seeing in TG?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

jo

Hi sjefen,

If you're having strange problems with TG2 that we're not hearing about with other computers and you're having problems with your computer then I think the first thing you need to do is make sure your computer is working properly. TG2 is quite an intensive application and it's possible this was making problems with your computer become apparent before they would in normal usage.

If you can make sure your computer is all working properly and then you still have problems with TG2 then we can spend more time trying to figure out what's wrong.

There have been a few occasions IIRC where people were having unusual problems with TG2 and it turned out to be a fault with their computer.

Regards,

Jo

jaf

Quote from: sjefen on June 25, 2012, 06:02:02 PM
I should also mention that lately my computer just crashes for no reason. I get this blue screen where it says it's dumping physical memory or something. This has only been a problem these last days and it is not the same as what happens with TG, but I think one or more of my memory chips are defect. Could this cause the problems I'm seeing in TG?

Yes, a faulty memory module could definitely cause the problem.  And heat can cause memory problems too.

I had just cleaned my older computer (specs in signature) and ran prime95 all night.  It started at 31 degrees and was up to 55 in a few minutes (it doesn't take long.)  Still 55 the next morning. 

Do you have 3 8gb memory sticks?  If so, maybe remove one and try tg2 with 16gb.  You may have to rotate each module to narrow down  the problem (sometimes re-seating the module(s) fixes it.)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

Try Memtest86+ to test your memory.

- Oshyan

sjefen

I will try to fix my computer and come back to this topic if there still is a problem with TG2.
Thanks for the advices so far guys =)

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

microwar

Have problems when i try to render a scene with big populations.
Stuck at "preparing to render", and the cpu is almost not doing anything.
Even left it like this overnight.

Happens especially when I've already rendered one picture.
Can fix the problem by restarting TG, but then i use like 15-20 min to populate all the grass again.

Might be my windows needs a reinstall.

Pc:
Amd Phenom II X4 3 GHz
6 Gig ram
2x Nvidia 9600GT
Win7 64Bit

jo

Hi microwar,

I'm not quite sure what your problem might be but I don't think reinstalling Windows will help it. It will be something to do with TG2.

I take it you're having this problem when trying to render an image from the same project as you've just rendered?

Regards,

Jo

microwar

Yea, happens when when i change somthing, and try to re render the image.

But reinstalling windows is a thing that i got to do anyway.
Been planing to do that for about 6 months now, but cant seem to get my finger out.
Got 2 pc's waiting a reinstall + a factory reset on my phone, but i always end up doing somthing else.
Might be that a windows reinstall takes over half a day for me.

sjefen

So here I'm back again. This has been very frustrating as my computer have been unstable for a very long time.
It kept getting worse and worse and it was really impossible to figure out what was wrong. I've tried everything.

I ran a windows memory test thing which told me my computer was just fine so it was natural for me to believe
the problem was hiding somewhere else, but to figure out where was no easy task.
Finally a friend of mine installed Linux on one of my hard drives and tried running that Memtest86 to see if it could
find something and sure enough the errors where popping up like trolls in boxes. After some more testing he was
able to figure out that two of my memory chips where defect.

I have now returned the broken chips and waiting for the new ones. Without those chips my computer seems
to work properly and I can finally start using Terragen again =) =) =)

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

jaf

Glad to here you figured out the problem.  I'm surprised mem86 didn't find a problem though.  Did you run it from a boot cd?

In the 1970's I wrote memory diagnostics for PDP-11 computers.  They would load into lower memory and test the memory above and then relocate above the lower memory and test it (lower memory.)  Some of those old mini-computers had three different types of memory -- core, bypolar, and MOS, and each had different timings and types of failures.  Core memory could actually fail if a program ran in a tight loop -- there was a core heating test.  Ah, the good old days.  ;D

sjefen

Hi jaf,

There was someone helping me with all of this so I'm not really sure. All I know is that Windows always told me my computer was just
fine with it's memory testing stuff, but Linux found the problems right away.

I'm just really happy the problem is fixed. I've lived with this for way too long and had almost given up all hope for this computer.
Now I can finally start using it to something more than just surfing the web again =)

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB