TG + World Machine marriage, (a work in progress) Finished

Started by Tangled-Universe, November 11, 2012, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

That is looking great Martin. I have some old WM terrains as .ter files which I'll have to import into TG2 for some new projects. Looking forward to your updates on this project.

Zairyn Arsyn

really like the lighting in these renders they could almost be photos :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Saurav

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 12, 2012, 09:00:31 AM
Thanks Saurav.
How's life? We don't see you often here, not to speak about image posts!
Hope all is well and also hope you'll get back to TG some time ;)

Cheers,
Martin

I'm going good Martin, just very busy over this past year and half with work. My old machine was playing havoc recently so I've ended up putting a new one together. I have my weekends free now so will be getting back to TG. Comments at first and then I will be rendering again. ;D

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for the heads up Saurav :)
Looking forward to your "come-back" here ;)

Tangled-Universe

A little work on the scene. Slowly getting there, I think.

mhaze

Much better!  Is it me or is there something odd about the waters edge?

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Mick :)
Yes, the water's edge (sigh), it's a pain! Technically it's correct. In other words; the water meets the terrain everywhere in this image, so the plane isn't being cut off somewhere.
The straight look is just because the slope isn't very steep.

The transparency is something I can't get right somehow.
At the moment I'm working on improving it, but the refractions look so fake. I wonder if they actually are really volumetric. At these angles it looks like a fake volumetric effect, just as the volume density shader (which as a matter of fact IS a fake volumetric effect).
Another problem is having the water perfectly transparent at the edges, despite having transparency @ 1 and transparency color pure white (no density used).
Another problem is that under water shadows have no GI.

There's a lot to improve to make this one really work.

inkydigit

Looks really great Martin... 
How do you align/size the masks with terrain?
cheers
Jason
:)

Tangled-Universe

Hi Jason,

That's fairly simple actually. Since I'm using masks from WM2 they're already aligned correctly for me.
It's then only a matter of using the right coordinates in TG2.

What I did is opening the .ter file in TG2 and resized it to the desired size, using the heightfield resize operator.
Then in the heightfield shader itself (the red one) you can see the coordinates of the terrain.
At default the bottom left coordinate is at 0,0 and I kept it like that.

If I want to align an erosion mask or river I open it in an image map shader and set the projection to "Plan Y".
The size is the size I defined in the heightfield resize operator and the coordinates are the coordinates I have in my heightfield shader.
That's it!

inkydigit

that is a lot simpler than the method I tried to use last time I tried!!!
I will check this out...
thanks a lot!
J
:)

mhaze

Cheers for the explanation I sympathize over the water I've had similar problems.

TheBadger

Looking beter and beter Martin.

I like how the grass and trees are fighting to grow up in the frocks a little. Mid-ground right side if the image. This looks real to me, I think its a strong part of the image.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Hi TU, it occurs to me that some larger boulders at the waters edge would break up that hard line....

Mahnmut

I second that, the waterline is the only improvement I can think of.
Still, it´s one of the most realistic TG-Images I´ve seen so far!

Tangled-Universe

Almost done. Still struggling with the lighting and highlights.

I tried simulating rapids by adding a foam texture to the water. The placement of the foam is based on the watershader itself.
You can see a screenshot of the network below to see how I did it.

Cheers,
Martin