Planet

Started by FrankB, February 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi Ulco,

thank you! Of course this is not a pure render, this has been postworked.  I've added the texture with the scratches in post to make it look you would watch it through a scratched window of a space craft flying by. These scratches are not part of the planet itself.
There are a few mountains peeking through the clouds, so what you saw isn't an island, but a mountain range. I thought about removing it first, but then I thought it's realistic that some mountains would peek through, so I left it in.

I can post the "pure" render later on so you can compare, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Frank

Dune

Hi Frank,

I thought so, but I think that if you look through a scratched window you won't see the scratches in focus. Or you would have to stand away from the window and see part of your capsule interior as well. Overall I very much like the way your planet is evolving.

Gannaingh

Frank, I'm really liking this planet a lot!

freelancah

Just saw the updates since I last peeked at this thread. Very very nice work. I bet you  wish we had macros for the main parameters ;) Probably quite a few nodes already? :)

FrankB

Quote from: freelancah on January 14, 2013, 06:32:13 AM
Just saw the updates since I last peeked at this thread. Very very nice work. I bet you  wish we had macros for the main parameters ;) Probably quite a few nodes already? :)

Thank you, and yes you are right: I wish I had a way to surface just a few selected parameters in a custom node dialog window, like the old deprecated planet surface layer had. I have this wish for all presets that we offer over at NWDA. It would make some of the presets we have much easier to use.

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on January 14, 2013, 03:13:11 AM
Hi Frank,

I thought so, but I think that if you look through a scratched window you won't see the scratches in focus. Or you would have to stand away from the window and see part of your capsule interior as well. Overall I very much like the way your planet is evolving.

Of course you are right. I was just playing with a few post filters and really liked this result nonetheless ;-)

Seth

the last render is really good, Frank

FrankB

I thought I'd give the polar region a shot. This time with a wooden hut for size reference.

FrankB

...aaaand a shot from the north tundra.

I realize these are relative simple images, but the result is pretty neat and this is out-of the-box planet wide, and really easy to pimp up with additional features, such as vegetation, any particular additional displacement wishes etc.

It's really fun to "fly" to random places and render them out. I gave this one (and the polar one) a little color correction and some vignette, but the rest is "as-is".

FrankB

This is the jungle at the equator. There is some fake canopy added to the surfacing which works quite nicely at a distance.

Dune

Very convincing. How about populating stuff near the equator? Hard, huh?

Hannes

Wow, really impressive how this works even with different camera distances.

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on January 19, 2013, 04:07:26 AM
Very convincing. How about populating stuff near the equator? Hard, huh?

Thanks!

About the populations: it's true you have to take extra care for populations far away from the planet origin. Somehow the object rotation is not adapting to the planet curvature and the relative position.
So you need to figure out the correct rotation first.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: Hannes on January 19, 2013, 05:30:00 AM
Wow, really impressive how this works even with different camera distances.

Thank you Hannes!

RArcher

Not much to say here Frank.  Your planet looks brilliant.