2013 NWDA Image Contest Starting NOW !!!

Started by FrankB, February 22, 2013, 06:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hey guys!

We would like to invite everyone to our 2013 NWDA Contest. There are some great prizes to win, so read on!  :)

In fact, you would be "crazy" not to participate, as this is the most valuable collection of prizes we ever had! More on that further down...

Important is that this contest is open to everyone who's interested, regardless whether you are a registred "Deep" or "Deep + Animation" Terragen user, or a user of the Terragen 2 Free Edition.

Contest Theme/Goal:

This year's contest theme is "ROADSIDE"

The goal of this contest is that each contestant creates a scene of choice, in which a road is either the central element, or supporting element of the scene.

NWDA is excited to announce the following premier sponsors for this contest, who have agreed to support us with some awesome prizes:

• Planetside Software
  • Xfrog, Inc.
  • World-Machine
  • Silva 3D
  • 3D Art Direct
  • Plugs'nPixels

FOLLOW us and the contest on FACEBOOK, too!!!
Read on for more details on the actual contest theme, rules and prizes!

These are the contest rules:

• Theme: "Roadside". This is a scene of your choice, in which a road is either the central element, or a supporting element of the scene. The road must be clearly visible and must take up a certain minimum of screen real estate. There has to be enough road in the scene to count. This example is not enough road to qualify. And this example doesn't count as a road. In this example, the road is not the only main element of the image, but it would count as eligible. If in doubt, you can always submit a draft work to nwdacontest at hotmail dot com and ask to verify for eligibility.
  • Each submission must strive for photorealism as best as possible. "Photorealism" means that the submitted render should look, at close as you can get it, like a photograph made of the scene by any modern camera with a general purpose lens. Submissions that attempt to emulate vintage photo realism, or the look of worn and bleached photographs do not qualify. (Rule amended March 7th)"
  • Submissions: one submission per person.
  • Submissions must be natively rendered within TG2.
  • Image format and size: Image width must been between 0.8k and 2k pixel. Format as you prefer.
  • Images below a certain minimum quality threshold will be rejected. We only accept submissions of finished work.
  • Postwork: allowed, but as minimal as possible; levels, color-corrections and the like are all allowed, except for adding elements to the image. When in doubt, the contestant must submit the raw render for NWDA to verify that nothing has been added in post. Post processing that simulates imperfections of a camera lens are explicitly allowed. For example, that includes depth of field simulation, chromatic aberration, vignette and the like. Image filters which strongly alter the image are not allowed, such as vintage filters, textures, grunge etc.
  • Contest Start: Sunday, February 23rd
  • Deadline for submission: Sunday, April 14th, but you can submit whenever your work is finished.

Contest-rules may be subject to modification

How to submit and submission conditions:

Please send your finished work through email to: nwdacontest at hotmail.com

Information needed with submission:
- Image title
- Your real name and forum name

Please be aware that by submitting an image to this email address, you agree that the image can be posted in the contest gallery on NWDA along with your name.

A link to the contest gallery will be shared soon. Entries will be added to the contest gallery as soon as they are being submitted.

Finding the winners:

- At this point the voting process isn't finally decided. It will either be a public voting or jury voting process. The final decision will be announced soon.

The contest prizes: COMBINED MONEY VALUE NORTH OF $3000 USD !!!

1st Place Winner Prizes: Become the content overlord with weapons of mass rendering and fame!

Terragen 2 Deep + Animation
    World Machine 2 Professional Edition
    Xfrog Plants Volume Bundle, all 3000 (!) plants in .TGO-format
    Silva3D Mega Bundle Vol.1
    Silva3D Balcony Plants Vol.1
    Feature interview and publication with 3D Art Direct Magazine
    Back Issue Access Subscription at 3dartdirect.com
    PlugNPixels magazine, "making of" coverage

2nd Place Winner Prizes:

Xfrog Plants Vol.1 (1300 plants) or Vol 2. (1600 plants), all plants in .TGO-format
    Silva3D Mega Bundle Vol.1

3rd Place Winner Prizes:

Xfrog Plants Europe 3, all 180 plants in .TGO-format
    Silva3D Choice (pick 2 from either Grasses, Balcony, Wildflower, or Shrubs)

4th - 10th Place Winners:

NWDA Road and Tarmac Pack Commercial Use License

We strongly recommend to create a Work In Progress (WIP) thread of your project at http://forums.planetside.co.uk/

This way everybody can keep track of each others progress and also exchange ideas/tips/tricks and other useful discussion.
We are looking forward to seeing your submissions. Game on!

Good luck!!!

Your NWDA team

FrankB

cyphyr

Great idea for a contest. Good prizes too. Got some ideas already but I don't want to rush in to things.
Wooo!
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

Hi all,

as you have read, this year's prizes are MADNESS, like Sparta! ;-)
There is no way anyone could justify not to take part! You WANT to be number 1, just look at the pile of rewards that await you.

We made sure that you have enough money value motivation to get your render slave heated up - the first place winner alone get some great stuff worth over 1800 bucks. But there is more to it, as we also get you the exposure and fame for your outstanding ROADSIDE renders!

The ROADSIDE theme is a KILLER theme! There are so many ways everyone can create a road, and over the next few days, we show you a few principles here on the forums, in case you don't know how to get started.

As a starter, google "road" and get inspired from all the images that come up in the search, or try the same on flickr or elsewhere.

With this contest, we would like to especially encourage the free edition users to participate! It's perfectly possible to create a winning image despite the free edition limitations. That's also one of the things we'll help you with as the contest moves along.

An 800px wide render is allowed as an entry, but we'd like to encourage free edition users to render larger by stitching together at least two crop render, to help bring out the beauty!

More about all this later! Really really excited!

So long
Frank

Dune

I wish all contestants an exciting time ahead! Start early and post, there's always more work involved to perfect renders. Good luck everybody!

otakar

Good theme, great prizes! Starting early is definitely the key, as lots of tweaking will be needed, at least for what I have in mind :)

jaf

A quick question.... is it okay to use purchased content that doesn't have a commercial license in a contest where there are prizes?  Or would that be considered commercial use?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Tangled-Universe

Hi Jaf,

I think you should look at the license which came along with the purchased content, because that should determine the limits of use, not NWDA I think.

Cheers,
Martin

cyphyr

Quick question.

Each submission must strive for photorealism as best as possible.

This is not to be interpreted the same as "realistic"?
ie: Could I have an upside down road which is utterly unrealistic, even surreal, but it is lit and textured as if it were real and believable?

Cheers

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

jaf

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 23, 2013, 12:34:12 PM
Hi Jaf,

I think you should look at the license which came along with the purchased content, because that should determine the limits of use, not NWDA I think.

Cheers,
Martin
I did read the license and really couldn't determine if it fit private use or commercial -- is using it with the possibility of gaining something worth money.  :) 
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

FrankB

Quote from: cyphyr on February 23, 2013, 01:00:35 PM
Quick question.

Each submission must strive for photorealism as best as possible.

This is not to be interpreted the same as "realistic"?
ie: Could I have an upside down road which is utterly unrealistic, even surreal, but it is lit and textured as if it were real and believable?

Cheers

Richard

If it looks like its a photograph of something real and natural, then you nailed it. It doesn't matter if it depicts someting you can'f find in the real world. If surreal would include psychedelic colors and false color textures, then it would not qualify.
I mean Richard, come one ;-)

inkydigit

great stuff... looking forward to this one!
:)
Jason

cyphyr

Cheers, just checkin' :)
Tis' as I thought then, hmmm ideas are a peculating :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

reck

Dune

I wouldn't consider participating in a contest commercial use, as it's not known beforehand whether you'll be rewarded. Other than in commissioned work where you get a fee for your work, or making prints that you sell.
Although I did win a painting award some time ago, and the taxman wanted part of it  >:(