.TER help needed

Started by Jonathan, May 14, 2013, 06:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Hi Jo / Oshyan,

I have just trialed Global Mapper and exported an area approx 10,000m square as a Terragen Terrain File. I then started a new TG project, first of all deleting the default Heightfield Shader, and adding a Heightfield (Load file) shader. I selected the .TER file and then added an operator (Heightfield Resize) to the Load node. I ended up with a flat 10,000m square area with no features. I am probably being dumb, but any help would be welcome. I have attached the .TGD, but not the .TER as it is too large.

Many thanks,

Jonathan.
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Matt

Your setup looks right, so I'm not sure what the problem is. However, there's a bug with the "rescale vertical" option in the Heightfield Resize node. You may need to uncheck and then recheck the "Re-size in metres" option to force it to properly resize with the rescale vertical option.

Does your heightfield look correct without the resize?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Jonathan

Hi Matt,

I have now checked and unchecked the "Re-size in metres" box - the render preview screen goes  black. I have moved to a high altitiude and re-checked the box and again the render preview screen goes black.

The Terrain file was approx. 10K square, and I have set the "Re-Size in metres" fields to 10,000 and 10,000. I have checked the "Re-Size vertical" box as well. With it unchecked all I see is the 10,000m bounding box as a flat feature. With it checked, the screen is black.....so no further forward.

Thanks,

Jonathan.
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Jonathan

...and are there any settings I should change in the "load" node  - image attached?

Matt

If the preview goes black, you're probably underneath the terrain. The same thing happened to me a few hours ago when I was testing these settings while replying. You might just need to move the camera up (or out) a lot further to see it.

Matt

Matt

It's strange that it tells you the size in metres is 0, 0 and the height range is 0. Perhaps there is something wrong with the .ter file.

Matt

Jonathan

Hi Matt - it could be the .TER file - I produced it in Global Mapper - and my trial has now expired :( I did however try the OPENexr file that Jo put up some time ago and that worked fine. I will see if I can get hold of another .TER file and test it out.

Thanks.