Its Awesome! Its free! Updated

Started by TheBadger, June 09, 2013, 12:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello

I just checked Video Copilots blog as I often do. And there is a great new post for free buildings!
http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2013/06/futuristic-city-pack/
[attach=1]

Summery
Anyone who wants can model a futuristic building and submit it. The complete collection of submitted buildings will be compiled into a pac and available to all. Andrew Cramer and company will be contributing several models, as well as doing the final quality control.

I am absolutely going to participate. I think I am getting very good at modeling, Im just very slow still. But I think I will do some good work for this. IM very ispired by the group effort idea. I think that is the real power of all these communities.

Efflux.
Since you are on a modeling binder too. THink about doing this! It will be a very speific way for you to channel your new powers for the good of mankind  ;D  8)

Everyone else here who is modeling but perhaps just not posting about it. Please look into this and see if you have the energy and time to participate.

The building packs at VCP that you have to pay for are really nice. So if the same finish goes into this future idea, It will be such a nice thing to have.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers to you.
It has been eaten.

efflux

I guess if everyone builds just one decent model you could have something really great. My only problem with it is that everyone is going to have the same thing. It doesn't seem very creative. You'll see the same citys over and over again.

TheBadger

I see NYC in tons of movies, never get tired of looking  :) If there are enough models it wont mater. And besides you can change them, rearrange them, retexture them.
It has been eaten.

Dune

TheBadger

No, it will be available to all at no charge, including non participants. So in that respect I understand Efflux's hesitance.

However, if there are 50 or more buildings it will be very easy for anyone who uses it to make completely original shots.
If you send 1000 people to time square with a camera, your going to get back 1000 different shots. Some will suck and some will be great. And no one will complain that all the photos are of time square.

And as I said, there is no reason that once you get the models, that you cant alter them anyway you like. And make new and totally unique buildings.

The thing about is that, modeling an entire city by your self would take a year. But with 100 people focused on just one or two building each it will get done fast.
Not to mention that the architecture of each building should then be completely unique, just like a real city. Then from each style you can copy and make groups. And build up an original scene.

Frankly, if you dont want to spend a ton of cash or spend a year modeling just buildings. Im not sure of any other way to get a whole city to play with.

Also Dune, I read that they are happy to work with people who use lightwave.

Lastly, Videocopilot will also make "several" models for the pack, as well as do all of the quality control and optimization. I think if enough people participate it will be a real nice thing.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Good. If I have some spare time, I will try some building. Future building, no Medieval one, although that would be a nice blend.

Zairyn Arsyn

i might just take part of this... make some skyscrapers

ah hell, who am i kidding, i'm already modeling
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

;D I am going to crash my spaceship into your corporate headquarters!  ;D

* you know when I wrote that I meant literally. But now it sounds like Im talking dirty to you.
It has been eaten.

efflux

I'd donate buildings to this even I never used it but first I'd check out all the details. Who stands to gain other than the downloaders etc. The trouble is I have no buildings anyway (yet). I only really just started along this modelling direction in any serious way.

TheBadger

The models will be given freely to the VCP community. All you need do is register and you will be able to download.

VCP will benefit from the promotion in the way giving free stuff benefits. Everyone else will benefit in the obvious way.

I have to say in all honesty, that I do not mind at all that VCP stands to benefit as a company (bringing in more people to look at their products) they built their name on giving things away for free. Things of value.
Their products are solid and priced for everyone (relative to the rest of this industry) I hold (in as much as I can know people from the web) VCP in a similar light as I do planetside... They are a good bunch of guys trying to make a living, and not pissing on others as they do it.

I have followed VCP for several years now. And in my opinion you have nothing to fear from them. They seem like decent hardworking people, not unlike some of the asset providers who serve the TG2 community. Friendly and rather straight forward... Just in my opinion.

But That you are new to modeling means nothing, you obviously have a knack for it.
And by what nearly everyone else has told me, modeling hard surfaces is easier than organics, so you should not find it to difficult.

Hope that helps Efflux.
It has been eaten.

jaf

Probably right in front of me, or my browser is hiding it.  Where do you create and account? ???
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

If you are in the blog you must go to the forum  ;D (I know, I had this problem too, when I first found the site :))
It is under the tab "connect" at the top of the site.

Here is a direct link http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/
It has been eaten.

jaf

Quote from: TheBadger on June 15, 2013, 01:14:12 PM
If you are in the blog you must go to the forum  ;D (I know, I had this problem too, when I first found the site :))
It is under the tab "connect" at the top of the site.

Here is a direct link http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/

Thanks!
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

efflux

Quote from: TheBadger on June 15, 2013, 11:59:38 AM
But That you are new to modeling means nothing, you obviously have a knack for it.

I can answer this now. It's not me it's the apps. I've spent a few days simply in the Modo modeler. It's absolutely crap compared to Wings3d. There are things you simply can not achieve at all or they are so long winded as to be hell. I don't have any knack for modelling it's because Wings3d in really powerful and easy.

The only modelling apps of any sort that are artist friendly are ZBrush, 3D Coat and Wings3d. Maybe some other sculpting apps as well because they tend to set up to be easy. Wings is the most amazing because it proves this type of basic poly modelling modeling can be really easy from a creative workflow point of view. I think even Blender's modeller is better than Modo's. I don't know what drugs these developers are on. This video here especially makes me laugh. Wings can do almost all of this with WAY less trouble yet they talk like these features are some kind of revolutionary ease of use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhzgr6hTcqw