Pause reversal

Started by choronr, July 11, 2013, 09:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

With TG2, I experience a 'reversal' of the pause control of the preview every once in awhile. Has anyone else have this happen once in awhile? After temporarily working with a file; and, close it for the day, the next time I open it, all is OK. Not a major problem; but, thought you ought to know.

jaf

I have seen that but haven't been able to isolate anything I've done to cause it.  It seems to happen to me when I have many and/or large populations.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

Odd, haven't seen this one. Let us know if either of you figure out how to reproduce it more consistently, or with a particular scene.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Yep I had that too a couple of times. Don't know how to reproduce it so far.

Dune

What is a reversal of the pause control?

Tangled-Universe

It means that your pause button doesn't look "activated" when you have hit it.
Normally when you pause your render you can see it is "pressed in".

Sometimes this behaviour reverses.

Dune

Ah. Never encountered that.

jaf

Just thinking.... it may be related to clicking preview pause when an active render is in progress.  I tend to max out my core/thread usage, so that probably makes it even worse.

I think we all know we shouldn't be changing/clicking stuff when a render is active, but I know I do it sometimes.  I've even forgotten I have a render going and started making changes and have gotten crashes, which I realized I cause it.  :-[
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jaf

Here is what I see when this problem occurs.  The image "paused_not" shows the render of the preview in progress (80%) but the pause button depressed.  The image "paused" shows the reverse.

I happened to have a second preview window open on my second monitor and it was not in pause at the time.  I was doing a forced update on the two populations I had in the scene.

choronr

Thanks for the illustrations, it proves the issue.

jo

Hi,

Although I haven't experienced myself it's theoretically possible for the pause button state to get out of whack, and also practically possible as we can see. Any information about reproducing this would be appreciated,

Regards,

Jo

jaf

I'll try to narrow it down.  I think I induce the problem -- probably my use of two preview windows.  Typically, I will add a second preview window maxed out to my second monitor.  Much of the time it is in a top view and not in pause.  This is for working populations -- positioning and getting a distribution view.  I usually put the small preview in pause, but once in a while I'll un-pause it to see my perspective view. 

Maybe there's some common "pause" code -- common to both preview windows that can get on-of-sync?

When I get my hands on TG3 I'll take some time to do a controlled test (I'm guessing this won't leverage an earlier release date! ;D)