A Challenge

Started by mhaze, July 19, 2013, 11:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Here's a challenge -  a population of vector displacements  any ideas shader array using image shader perhaps?

j meyer

If you have not already tried I suggest to try to move a VDisp via transform shader
and see what happens.

Tangled-Universe

Not much need of a shader array if you can repeat the vdisp on x and y through the image map shader?

Fractal mixing of a couple repetitive vdisp's may give fun results though.

mhaze

Yeah didn't realize how limited the shader array is!  I wanted to get away from the repeated look need scaling and rotation.  Fractal mixing of a couple repetitive vdisp's is worth trying.

bobbystahr

I'm a bit confused by this...how do you do a 'population of displacements' ?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

Smurf Cap Mountain
This is not a standard object population, the smaller vector disp has simple x,y image repetition, the large displacement is a single with no repetition.
As you can see, they can build on each other.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on July 20, 2013, 07:00:09 PM
Smurf Cap Mountain
This is not a standard object population, the smaller vector disp has simple x,y image repetition, the large displacement is a single with no repetition.
As you can see, they can build on each other.
would you mind posting the .tgd...this is intriguing and I'd love to explore the technique...thanks
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

If you want to get rid of the repetitiveness, feed them trough a warp shader or blend them by PF.

fleetwood

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 20, 2013, 08:01:54 PM

would you mind posting the .tgd...this is intriguing and I'd love to explore the technique...thanks

I don't have time to package it up now, getting ready for a trip.
But I did post one of the vector displacement files in the discussion area June 09.
It's subject is Vector Displacement Shader : the Offsets

Here is the network setup for Smurf Cap. It's nothing special, this was just a rough and ready experiment.
The small repeated displacement uses a displacement file
I made in C4D and is the same one I posted already. It comes first in the network and I used x,y,z multipliers of 1,1.1,1.

The big mountain has x,y,z multipliers of 400,600,-400 and it is generated by 3 different gradient type images
that I created in an image editor.

bobbystahr

Well how about that...I never noticed that shader sitting there at the bottom of the list....oh well, live and learn I always say....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

Thks for the screen shot Fleetwood
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: DannyGordon on July 22, 2013, 10:39:03 AM