Graphics driver crashing

Started by yossam, September 11, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I really don't know what was showing yesterday when I checked it. At idle I was getting around 80 C and rendering was getting about 70 C.

I checked it just now and at idle it was 40-45 C and rendering it was about 70 C. Maybe I was looking at the wrong numbers, or maybe my eyesight is really getting bad.  :-[

archonforest

The numbers of today all make sense :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

I just downloaded Core Temp yesterday; and, it is true - higher numbers are cool; lower numbers are hot. Download the latest version and you will see.

As I said earlier, when idling, numbers are in the lower eighties. When rendering, they drop down to the lower fifties.

archonforest

It is a funny program in this case. If lower numbers indicates higher cpu temp them yossam's cpu more cold when rendering and more hot when idle... :o :o
I will download this to see also.
Otherwise I use this: RealTemp307 if someone interested.
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jaf

Yes, it seems like there's something wrong.  I also use Core Temp, the 64 bit version 1.0 RC5 and it tracks closely with Pirform Speccy.  You may want to try the free version of Speccy at http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download   
It will also show your video card, motherboard, and hard drive temperatures on the summary tab. 

As mentioned in this thread, your video board temperature should really not rise at all during a render. On Speccy, there's a little icon to the right of the temperature that will show a graph.

Keep in mind that a memory or cpu fault can cause a graphics driver fault, so the error message may not always identify the real problem.  Narrowing down problems in a pc environment can really be a difficult problem with so many different software, hardware, and environmental conditions.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

choronr

To clear up the confusion regarding the Core Temp settings wherein high numbers are cool and low numbers are hot: There is a specific option in the program that you can set called "Display the distance to TjMAx in temperature fields". If that is off, then the number displayed would be the actual temperature. So high would be hot/bad and low would be cool/good.

But since we have the option on, it's showing the distance from it's maximum temperature. So in our case, high is "farther from maximum temp"/cooler/good and low numbers are "closer to the maximum temp"/hotter/bad.

Oshyan

Ah, well that certainly does clear things up. I see the theoretical value of that since TJMax varies between CPUs (especially between AMD and Intel architecture). When comparing temps with others it could be confusing, since this measure is relative rather than specific and absolute, so I think it's very important to be clear what value you're reporting. It should also be noted that TJMax is a theoretical max, it is not the specific "point at which it will crash". Usually a CPU will freeze some time before TJMax. So it's useful as a theoretical value, but may not be as useful in practice. As I said a moment ago, given the relative nature of max temperature as it varies between CPUs, I do think it's an interesting and possibly useful option.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I've had some NVidia crashes too, when using TG2, Photoshop or 3DsMax. It even crashes when I'm not working with the programs, they're just open in the background.
Last 2 versions of Graphics Drivers seem to give this problem, have not tried others yet...
Howgh!

jaf

I see Nvidia released a new driver -- 327.23.  Might be worth a try.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

ares2101

I just got a new graphics card earlier this week and I've been seeing a lot of the same issues previously described.  I have a GeForce GTX 770 with the latest driver version, 327.23

I've gotten a few display driver crashes talking about an OpenGL problem and I had one total PC freeze, the latter something I haven't seen in so long I forget when it was or what caused it.  I got through my last project's rendering OK, with maybe one crash.  I'm currently working on improving an old project and I can't make it to a full-size render without a crash or a freeze.  I saw some old posts talking about disabling the 3D preview and tried it a couple times with the node network replacing it while rendering, but that seems to change nothing.

Any ideas?

jaf

Maybe we need a simple chart -- something like this:

TGver         OS             GFX         OpenGL Message on Crash?     Power Save       User
----------     -------        ---------      ----------------------------------      ---------------       ------
3.0.07.0     xp64         GTX760     No                                             Always On         jaf
3.0.07.0     win7 x64  GTX770      Yes                                                                    ares2101

ares2101

TG Ver: 3.0.07.0
OA: Windows 7 64 bit
GFX: Geforce GTX 770
Crash Type: Sometimes says OpenGL, one time a freeze, just now apparently a system reset while out of the room

Only Terragen 3 has caused any errors since installing this card.  Nothing else, including gaming, has any issues.

jaf

I was doing a bit of reading today on OpenGL crashes and found this thread:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1246105

.... in particular, post #9.  This sounds like is is similar to a lot of posts here -- crashes when OpenGL is basically at idle (I don't believe it's active during a render.)

Anyway, interesting problem but a real pain to those who have it. :(

yossam

Since I upgraded the drivers to 327.23 I haven't had a crash from the display drivers. :o  Knock on wood.....................

Oshyan

Thanks for the ongoing research guys. The new driver sounds promising, hopefully it stays stable! In the meantime, we're looking into things on our end too. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.

- Oshyan