Can Terragen Render One Item At A Time

Started by Alexux, September 28, 2013, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexux

I have been asked to do a collaboration with a Matte Painter.
And she asked for each image/item to be rendered on a separate alpha channel.
So for example, the citadel would be on one image, the bridge on another, the landscape on another render, and then the sky on another render.
BUT the sky/light needs to be like, "bouncing"/"on the objects". so she can paste them together with her edits to them, like additional paint work etc.

EDIT:// I have both Terragen 0.9 and Terragen 2 Deep Edition. I use T2 more. I would get T3 but I don't have the money and the free version limits the size of renders

jaf

Someone qualified can probably give you a better answer......

My initial thought is to get everything set up and then selectively enable/disable objects and render.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

A quick answer would be to use render layers (if that's available in the free version), but I think you'll also have to disable and enable objects for each render as well. I haven't used render layers, but I'm sure someone will come up and give you an elaborate answer.

Alexux

My current Terragen versions (0.9 and 2) are not the free ones. I paid for them.
Also I tried this enable/disable thing, but...when disabling all terrain, i was still left with a flat empty terrain, which i dont want

Oshyan

Terragen 2 does not support render layers/elements. I don't think there is an easy way to get all objects separated out in TG2; that's a big reason we added these kinds of features in TG3. As a TG2 owner, you do have some pretty affordable upgrade options...

- Oshyan

Alexux

I've downloaded the demo to try it out.
I dont think I'll be able to do my project in it though.
cos of the size limitations

ndeewolfwood

Copy your project.
Delete  : light node, athmo node, clouds node.
Turn shadow off
Turn GI off

Use only constant shading with different colors for each elements. Render and save as 32 bits.
Now you should be able to create clean masks in  any compositing software.

PabloMack

Quote from: Oshyan on September 29, 2013, 07:10:50 PM
Terragen 2 does not support render layers/elements. I don't think there is an easy way to get all objects separated out in TG2; that's a big reason we added these kinds of features in TG3. As a TG2 owner, you do have some pretty affordable upgrade options...

This is great news. It can make compositing a lot easier. I was walking the fence whether to upgrade or not. Now it looks like I will. This sort of separate rendering naturally means that all of the item's interactions with lighting (e.g. shadow casting) are still active even if the item itself is not going to render directly? In Lightwave, there are also separate radio buttons for enabling shadows and reflections in object properties. Are these in TG3?

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.