Celestia models

Started by bigben, June 26, 2007, 01:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hi All

Didn't find this in the search results so I thought I'd post it. I know the Celestia "motherlode" has been mentioned in relation to planet textures maps. I finally got there and found their models are pretty good too. Some of them unfortunately have more than 16 materials, but that's only a temporary set back. Most of them are 3DS and convert nicely with PoseRay.

Checkout the "Space craft" and "Fictional" sections.

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Will

yea as soon as we get better model support that will defiantly be a resource.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

bigben

Even so there are still some very useful models in here.

Vader's Tie fighter for example contains no image textures, it's all model while most other Tie models I've seen use bump maps

The shuttle image was a quick test of cyphr's cloud setup with a set of 2k image textures for earth and the moon, and while it might look a little rough up close, it's still a handy model.

rcallicotte

Wow.  Cool job, Ben.

[I have since downloaded scads of models from there and cant' wait to tie some into a few TG2 renders.]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

zionner

So, Say i create a model in..Blender for example..how would i Input that into one of my Renders

red_planet

In Blender.. make your model then export as lightwave .obj, these can be UV mapped.

If you use subsurf and haven't baked it, then you need to be aware that there is no sub surface smoothing in TGTP (yet  ;) )

Then in TGTP, add object from the objects tab and add object using the obj reader. Some experimentation has shown that 1 Blender unit of measurementis pretty much equivalent to a metre in TGTP.

HTH

Rgds
Chris

zionner