PC freezes / reboots when i start to render an image.

Started by darko, February 25, 2014, 06:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darko

Hello , so i have the following problem : just upgraded my system , got an i7 4770k and 1600 MHz Ram instead of i5 3570 and 1333 MHz ram. So the problem is : when i'm starting to render cpu usage is 100 % ( its normal i think , due to i have the same with previous system) and pc freezes after 5 sec of render or reboots... I'd like to know if there is any way to set up the programm / system. Thanks in advance.

kaedorg

don't know if it is the same issue but i got a similar problem. It was one of my memory sticks which crashed.

If it happens with other programms using a lot of ram. You'll have to check memory sticks one by one. That's the way i solved my similar problem.

Hope it is not this kind for you. Otherwise it could be a  try to render a too big image for your RAM.

David

darko

I have 8 GB and rendering 1024x1024 , so don't think its too big..

Oshyan

It sounds like a heat issue to me. Have you done a stress test/"burn in" with a program like Prime95 or some other highly demanding application? Do you have a temperature monitoring application?

- Oshyan

darko

N-drju

In the first place, I would just suggest doing "crop region" rendering smaller bits of image one by one and then stitching 'em back all together in an image processing program. That partially solved the similar problem I had. I was satisfied even despite the fact I had to do some post-processing just as I described.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

jaf

I would still try what Oshyan mentioned.  Also, you could open the task manager and monitor the amount of memory that's free.

Five seconds is about the amount of time it takes on my system for the temperature to near it's maximum (the maximum temperature the cpu's rise to when the cpu's are max'ed out.)  Heat can also cause memory problems if your case doesn't get good airflow (around the memory sticks.)  So it's a good idea to stress test a new computer to establish the whole system cooling is working.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

darko

tried to test the pc with some benchmarks and rendering sony vegas and it seems fine... maybe i need to disable/fix something in bios? now when im pressing render button it freezes immediately (lol) i'm kinda upset...
UPDATE : tried with prime95 - exactly the same freeze ( could it be a problem if the ram stick wasnt plugged as it should be? when i had a prob a week ago a technical manager unplugged ram and plugged again) so how can i know if its a cpu or ram?

darko

Tried many things , but think i solved it now ( oh God please ) , unplugged ram stick from one slot and plugged to another ( random idea lol ) , so it seems like all 2 sticks are fine and this was just a slot problem prolly ( voltage or whatever ) , so if some1 will experience this unpleasant problem he should check ram with mechanic method. Thanks all who responded , meant a lot for me that some guys didn't ignore this! Have a nice days buddies!

kaedorg

Glad to hear your problem is solved.
Did you try to use your PC with only one ram stick (2 times with different ram sticks) ?
Because one of them could have a problem and changing its slot could just delay the problem.
Your PC can just use the fine ram stick first.
You can also check by trying a bigger tg3 render taking nearly all the ram.

Finally it could be just a ram stick which was not properly plugged and you solved it.
Good if it is only that  ;)

David

darko

ye , i've tried with the one stick ( 2 times ) all was fine so i've decided to get both of the sticks. :)

jaf

I had a similar problem and it seems it was a simple re-seat of a memory stick because my problem went away and stayed away.  In the "old days (1970's) this was a major problem especially on mini computers.  Very frustrating because you were never sure what fixed the problem and a little gold always wore off the edge connector (each time it was re-seated.)

Glad you found the problem.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

darko

also sorry for the off-top : what is the normal rendering time for tg2? i'm making a custom sky for a game quality settings : detail = 1 , anti alaising 8x , cloud samples = 64 , atmoshpere = 64 , there are 5 pics ( 5cams ) so 1 pic takes me like 4 hours is it normal or there are ways to make it faster and cpu busy for 100% aswell ( normal too?)

N-drju

Ohmigod... Darko, I would say 4 hours is a perfect time with these settings! :o I am running Windows version of TG 2.4 through Bootcamp on Mac and this adds some render time. With settings as high as yours I would probably be done with work by Easter.  :D I never use such high settings even for more detailed images while they still look very realistic. If you do clouds only I would just suggest following:

detail = 0.8, AA = 4, cloud quality = 24, atmo = 24

Trust me, cloud and atmo settings are way too high here!  ;) As far as cpu "business" is concerned 100% is perfectly normal. Got the same.

- Andrzej
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Sorry? You're whispering  ;) ............. font size  :P