Maya sucks

Started by TheBadger, February 22, 2014, 09:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Harder to do ANYTHING than free soft in modeling, and crashes just as much. (maya 2014 osx) IM glad I have a full package to learn with for free (student version) But when it comes time to buy, Im NOT buying auto desk! Several thousand dollars and this is what you get? ? NO way, I wont buy any thing from them now.

To be fair Maya 2013 was pretty good, but lacked a lot of basic modeling tools. So I get the upgrade, well, upgrades should not suck more than their predecessor!

Im leaning to MODO & mari, and lightwave... In the future. HArd to say right now. But autodesk can suck it.

I mean really! What does it say when Hexagon2 is a better modeler? (cept for all the crashing  :P) but that is 100% free.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I see :)  I don't use it so nothing much to say Michael.

AP

Software is relative to the various circumstances it falls under. Users, hardware specs, etc........ Use whatever works best and be skilled at using it.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on February 22, 2014, 10:52:53 PM
I mean really! What does it say when Hexagon2 is a better modeler? (cept for all the crashing  :P) but that is 100% free.

Hexagon put a hex on you when you spurned it.  :P

TheBadger

Quote from: ChrisC on February 22, 2014, 11:46:57 PM
Software is relative to the various circumstances it falls under. Users, hardware specs, etc........ Use whatever works best and be skilled at using it.

Sure. But software that costs nearly 4 thousand dollars should not crash when you hit the ungroup button. And thats just one of a hundred reasons why Maya sucks.

Really, at 3500, it shouldn't crash for any reason.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

The only 3D software that never crashed on me was POV-Ray...which more than made up for it with it with its bizarre programming language UI which, if even one flaw existed in your scene code, would not render the scene.

mhaze

I used POV ray for years and only turned to TG because povray was slow to render my pics.  TG now has grown and is far more suited to me but povray taught me a lot.  I think everyone should work with it for a while BTW the programming language was based on C which later became C ++ and is not at all bizarre!

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on February 22, 2014, 10:52:53 PMIm leaning to MODO & mari, and lightwave... In the future. HArd to say right now. But autodesk can suck it.

At least you have good timing. Lightwave 11.6 is on sale for $500 off through March.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/

As for me, I never considered Maya for its modeling, only for its animation. I would use good modeling programs for that. In fact, I bought Modo just for its modeling capabilities and I don't regret it. The painting and UV mapping tools are worth it alone. As for the Borg (AutoDesk), I feel the same way you do about monopoly wannabe's. Adobe is the "other" Borg.

However...after you telling us all that you are starving, though, maybe you need us to send you care packages containing non-parishable consumable items. Do you like beans and rice?  ;)

Upon Infinity

Quote from: mhaze on February 23, 2014, 05:09:06 AM
BTW the programming language was based on C which later became C ++ and is not at all bizarre!

Oh, I understand that.  It's bizarre in the context that you have to program a 3d scene as though it were computer program, instead of placing things in a scene like every other 3d program in existence.  And yes, it was a good learning experience, similar to learning photography with a film camera before moving to digital (which I also did BTW).  In fact, their Help tutorial helped me understand the world of 3D probably more than any other experience before or since.  And there is some great technology in POV-Ray, it has effects that Terragen can only dream of (like caustics).  Ultimately, battling the UI became too much for me, and I began my search for something a little more suited to my needs, leading me to Terragen.

AP

Quote from: TheBadger on February 23, 2014, 01:32:01 AM
Quote from: ChrisC on February 22, 2014, 11:46:57 PM

Sure. But software that costs nearly 4 thousand dollars should not crash when you hit the ungroup button. And thats just one of a hundred reasons why Maya sucks.

Really, at 3500, it shouldn't crash for any reason.

It would be nice if no software ever crashed no matter the price but it was created by imperfect people in a imperfect world. Price does not always mean quality all of the time. Even a Bentley Continental could have it's set of issues and I bet some have. Terragen 3 crashed on me on a few occasions, but meh...

Maybe in a true free-market we could have competitive priced and better made products but not in this current world.

TheBadger

Some would say that modeling is only in maya as a convenience. That they don't focus on it. And many people say that animation in maya is its point. But you can animate just fine in other programs for much less. All you need is the basic tools and graphs. I wanted it as a "complete solution". Oh well.

From my perspective the main power of Maya is the ability to script just about anything, and to customize through mel and python for any need you may have.
But is that really excluded from other apps?

Anyway, my main complaint is not that Maya crashes. But that it crashes under "normal use". Its just sooooooo buggy! Which would be understandable if it was the new kid on the block. But its the old dog! They should have things figured out by now... Its not like maya is innovating on anything.

But bla bla bla. ITs still free for me to use, so onward and forward... I guess.

It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

i cant say i agree with you 100% badger, but ill believe you.
personally i more issues with 3SMAX.

i tried the educational version over 2 years ago for about a month or so when i worked at NHMFL, didnt really get into it that much.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Quotei cant say i agree with you 100% badger, but ill believe you.
Thank you  :)
It has been eaten.