Render window question (maybe a Feature Request)

Started by yesmine, March 26, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesmine

Is there a way to render only a selected portion of a scene? Maybe I just haven't caught on yet, but it comes to mind from my trials in Maya where you have the ability to select a smaller area of the scene inside the render window and then re-render just that small section. As an example, I've been testing rocks and plants in a scene, and if I've made a slight change it would be very convenient to select the area around that one object and quickly render that small section, instead of having to render the entire window again. Even nicer...you could select a section covering half the rock or plant, render that half, and easily see the difference your changes have made by comparing the new half to the previous half. It's a big help as well as a time saver.

I know you can zoom in on one object to crop out everything else, but the above is very convenient and offers some nice benefits.
Thanks.

yossam

You can crop your render.............on the render screen, 2nd tab over.  :)

yesmine

Thanks Yossam...but I must not be understanding what you mean as the 'render screen'. My 'Render View' window tabs are 'Pause', 'Stop', then 'zoom', and 'render channels'...nothing that looks like I can crop with it. The main view screen has no tab to crop either, so I must be blind or not understanding which screen you're referring to. I'm using TG3 btw..
Thanks.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

yossam

This was what I was talking about................. :)

Sorry for not explaining correctly.

yesmine

Excuse me while I bank my head on the desk...I looked right at the Render screen the first time and completely blanked out on the tabs down there. I'll have to give that a try and see how it works. Still, I think being able to mouse-drag an area in the 'Render View' window and automagically render just that section would be nice if it could be worked in.
Thanks again to both of you..

jaf

Here's the controls for a crop render:
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

yesmine

Ah ha! That actually works very well. Thanks to all.