Knights (updated link)

Started by Hannes, May 08, 2014, 01:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Actually there are a few just over the border but they refuse to let me into the USA eh...wassup wit dat?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kaedorg

Hannes here is a link of the ramparts celebration in Dinan in Brittany (about 200 kms from my place)
It happens every 2 years in July.
Have a look on videos and photos.

http://www.fete-remparts-dinan.com/

Dune

Thanks for showing us your medieval self, Hannes. Looks really awesome. One of these days I must attend some medieval festival!

Hannes

Thanks guys. Yes, it's great fun to go to these festivals (thanks for the great link, Kaedorg!!!) dressed up like this. It really feels like time travelling.

Back to topic: I wrote that I was creating a new more detailed knight character. I wanted him to be a little bit more historically correct (as far as it's possible). I was searching the internet a bit and found that my knight seems to be already quite authentic. I thought for example that these pant-like trousers (which were actually stockings and suspenders!) should be a bit more loose, but if you look at old illustrations, the chainmail shirts and trousers seem to have a slim fit. Actually there were belts and laces to hold the stuff together, to prevent the loose sleeves and trouser legs for example from flapping around while fighting.
So I am going to refine my existing models and the textures.
Here is a short lighting animation I did for testing the reflection behavior of the chainmail shader.

Hannes

For you, Yossam. This is my chainmail coif and my most heroic facial expression. ;D ;D ;D

yossam

Cool.....................thanks.  8)   

Think HBO might be interested?

kaedorg

King : Lord Hannes, tomorrow you'll go to the No-return Mountain and you'll kill the 10 Dragons alone with your sword.

Lord Hannes : Yes, Your Majesty

Couples of seconds after : see picture above ....

Hannes

;D ;D ;D
...and then, off camera, there's Lord Hannes peeing his pants, which is quite unfavourable in chainmail...

Dune

Well, at least it won't be caught inside the chainmail pants.

By the way, that 'cap' must be pretty heavy.

Hannes

3.5 kg. After some time wearing it you get a headache. Those knights must have been very robust.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 18, 2014, 04:32:55 AM
3.5 kg. After some time wearing it you get a headache. Those knights must have been very robust.

or numb skulls, heh heh heh...Great shot man.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Thanks Bobby! You're absolutely right. After some headache your head feels a bit numb! Thank god my brain is a rudimentary organ.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mindsap

Like my wife always says "Once a king always a king but once a night is enough."  Seriously though Hannes great models.  Thank you.
Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

Hannes

I'd like to show you the actual WIP of refining the model. This is a 3ds max render. I'll have to include the ends of the belts into the cloth simulation, which is going to be tricky. I added bulged corneas to make the eye reflection more natural, added belts to hold the chainmail stuff together and did some more detail work on the sword belts.