Rectangular Noise

Started by Hetzen, March 09, 2010, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

That link with the Vorinoise... how hard is it to code and just add the formula to Terragen? Is that not all that is needed here, just a new noise flavour.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ChrisC on October 23, 2014, 02:32:28 PM
That link with the Vorinoise... how hard is it to code and just add the formula to Terragen? Is that not all that is needed here, just a new noise flavour.

I'm curious about that too, but didn't want to sound impatient so I waited for someone else to ask first :)

AP

TheBadger

I don't think anyone can say TG users are impatient. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes crazy, sometimes passionate. Even sometimes paranoid, maybe. But never impatient  ;) Patients feels like the one thing we all share.
It has been eaten.

Matt

Quote from: ChrisC on October 23, 2014, 02:32:28 PM

We'll add Iñigo's Smooth Voronoi to Terragen at some point. But I don't think that's the real breakthrough we need here. It would just make the edges smoother and rounder than what we can already produce with Voronoi.

But a smoothly-interpolated version of the voronoi cell scalar, which is a separate thing, would open up some new possibilities.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mogn

Quote from: TheBadger on October 17, 2014, 10:47:19 PM
@mogn
If you have energy and time for it, it would be cool if you could get J's file to have your randomness (where some squares are raised and some lowered), but maintain the ease of use J has. That is, his way of connecting the noise to a node tree is very clear and simple.  And in general any simplification and reduction of nodes in number is desirable.

I still find it interesting that although all of these noises are basically the same thing, they all give rather different results. As things are in TG, it seams smart to collect as many variations as possible in lieu of a built in noise function that solves the issues discussed here, and creates variety. While you guys still have interest in the problem.

I am working on it. The Picture below shows a Picture of the x-z plane and annotated x-axis (the inner nodes of a multipy node)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

mogn

Not Integrated with the cube yet.

mhaze

Facinating stuff.  I'm learning a lot from your contributions as well as a headaches from trying to understand it!!! :o

Dune

Thanks a lot Mogn! Is there any way to make the sides still softer? Square but soft edged. A mix of 2 sizes can do wonders!

TheBadger

Quote from: Dune on November 01, 2014, 12:54:59 PM
Thanks a lot Mogn! Is there any way to make the sides still softer? Square but soft edged. A mix of 2 sizes can do wonders!

That sounds good. Can you do it by your way of working, Mogn?
It has been eaten.

bla bla 2

On pourrai faire une ville avec ça. :)

mogn

Every thing is possible in TG. This is a Square mask mulitplied by a Manhattan mask.

Dune

Thanks Mogn, more toys to play with.

bla bla 2

To place the textures it will be hot.   ::)