I want to believe! animated

Started by Hannes, October 16, 2014, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Hannes

Did some tests and realized that one frame in Full HD would take 3 hours and 45 minutes to render on my quite new computer, which isn't the slowest one.
So I had to change some things:

-I disabled motion blur. I'll add it in PW.
-Reduced samples for soft shadows. Tried it without softness. Didn't look good.
-The smallest size of the tarmac's power fractal for the displacement was insanely small. Don't know why I hadn't realized that. Increased it by a factor of 50!
-I deleted each reflective shader and used the specular reflection of the default shader instead. For some reason there's some real reflection of the environment as well, but renders much faster.
-Deleted each glass (water) shader as well since you won't see it anyway. Just made the parts invisible that represent glass.
-Unchecked Detail blending. I know this should be on, but I'll do some tests without and check if it's working.

Rendertime's now 45 minutes per frame! Not bad. Thinking about rendering the whole thing on my machine. I guess the file would be very very large if I'd gather it for sending it over to Pixel Plow especially because of the birds object sequence. Still undecided, but we'll see.

Oshyan

Great render time improvement! Do you have a sense of what changes contributed most to that?

Yes, definitely use 2D motion blur. In your scene it should not be distinguishable from 3D (you can use your own methods, or TG's built-in, although if you use the built-in I would recommend just outputting motion vectors with blur disabled, and then using the Image File Processor to apply it later; more flexible that way).

Try Soft Shadows with no Jitter and lower Samples.

I do recommend using Detail Blending though!

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Im going to find you, and Im going to make love to you  >:(

;D
ok no. But you are very good  ;)
It has been eaten.

Hannes

@TheBadger: ...err...thanks for the offer, but no, thanks! ;)

@Oshyan: I'm not quite sure which was the biggest factor for those high rendertimes. When I removed the glass (water-) shader from the bottles, rendertimes were 30% shorter. Increasing the smallest scale of the displacement PF of the tarmac's surface had a big impact as well. Anyway I'm glad I could reduce rendertimes a lot.
I know that detail blending is highly recommended for animations, but as far as I can see (44 frames at Full HD by now) there is no obvious flickering. Not yet...  :-\

Hannes

Just to let you know: Frame 144 is rendering right now. Rendertimes are slightly longer now (about 65 minutes per frame) due to the objects appearing in the scene, but I guess the whole thing will be done within a week. Hopefully. No flickering so far. Except a roof texture of the barn at the left side. Hope I can get rid of that at least in post...

Nacer Eddine

wow, good job
by the way. you can add sound.
you can download a bank of sound its free
take look

http://www.universal-soundbank.com/motos.htm

enjoy

and special thanks for your knights  (medieval characters)
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18288.0.html

just for test with low resolution

i don't know if you have the complet characters ready for animation ?
i need it to make some test mouvement in 3ds max

Hannes

Thanks for the link, Nacer Eddine. I don't know yet if there will be sound. Interesting idea.
Regarding the knights: why not asking your questions in the appropriate thread?
The knights are static, so no animation. Sorry.

Btw, frame 179 at the moment...

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Hannes

Currently frame 286. Rendertimes went up once again due to the pond to the right (90 minutes per frame), but the end is in sight.

Hannes

Hoooooray!! All the frames are rendered. Now it's time to fine-tune the whole thing and make a movie out of it.

Dune

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on November 16, 2014, 12:18:30 PM
Hoooooray!! All the frames are rendered. Now it's time to fine-tune the whole thing and make a movie out of it.

Envy :D Still at least 1-2 months to finish mine.

Hannes

Here it is: the crappy Vimeo-link with the low quality "HD is almost like Full HD" (????) link:
https://vimeo.com/112218911
or the dropbox link with the original file (17MB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa7ruc06ogjul0r/FullHDFinalSharp.mp4?dl=0

Postwork:
Motion blur, chromatic aberration, Lens flares, subtle sharpening