Post-apocalyptic 3D city

Started by Aerometrex, November 13, 2014, 11:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerometrex

I haven't been working with Terragen for while but i'm slowly getting back to it.
I wanted to transform one of our 3D city model into a post-apocalyptic world as an experiment.
Our 3D city model comes as a textured obj.

The first pic is the 3D model without texture and basic lighting.

The second is the textured 3D model at sunset, still with basic lighting.

To obtain the 3rd pic:
- I've overlaid some grunge textures to the existing textures.
- I've added a obj population of small bushes using some Xfrog models and sat the population on my 3D city.
- I've added some fog
- I've added some water

at the end it was an easy process and i'll make a short video out of it.

Any comments or advice are more than welcome.

I am passionate  about the art and science of digital aerial mapping, photogrammetry, geospatial information, VR and 3D modelling.
http://aero3dpro.com

Dune

Extraordinary! Awesome effect. It must be a huge object and texture file.

Kadri

Looks great.
I am curious about the file size too.

Hannes

Awesome model!! And great texture work for the post-apocalyptic effect.
I personally prefer the really awesome second image. What's distracting me a bit in the third one is the fact that all the cars are still in place. But throwing them around randomly is probably impossible due to the way this model is created I assume?!
And is there any way of getting the buildings a little bit more damaged?
I know I'm nitpicking. Fantastic work anyway!!!!

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

I think this is pretty bad ass!
One way to make sense of it not looking very old/very destroyed, would be to add a few fires. This would give the impression that the destruction is pretty fresh. So it would not be necessary to do much more texture work.
It has been eaten.

Aerometrex

Thanks for the feedback.

The 3D model is 2.5 GB obj with 1 GB of textures.
There no individual objects and the 3D model is a continuous mesh which makes it hard to play with.
I guess to add a bit of random cars, I need to add a population of cars along the roads.
To destroy the buildings I would need to edit the mesh, possible but not easy.

I am passionate  about the art and science of digital aerial mapping, photogrammetry, geospatial information, VR and 3D modelling.

masonspappy

Dune

In this heavy object, it is probably useful to try the mesh displacer! You might be able to crumble buildings, or partly if using masks.

mesocyclone

bobbystahr

I am not sure it would load but if it will Pose Ray will separate the textures/materials into Parts shaders which allows selection of individual parts. I use this when I have windows attached to buildings 'in the mesh' and can't texture them separately in TG...
EDIT
oh yeah...is this city for sale anywhere?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Oh yeah...freaking brilliant model...went to your link and viewed some vids....mind blown....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

inkydigit

Jaw droppingly good... Been following your YouTube channel for a while, this is superb!

Aerometrex

Thanks again for the feedback.
I'm uploading on Youtube a video showing more of our 3D city models rendered in Terragen including a a video of this post-apocalyptic city.
Will post the video on the Video section of the forum.
Loving Terragen for all the amazing 3D environment capabilities.

bobbystahr, This specific model if for sell (but not cheap) as the primary goal of these models is to provide a geographically accurate and photo-realistic environment for surveyors and other geospatial industries where spacial accuracy is a requirement.
Entertainment and VFX is a very new market for us.
Anyway, I'm not here to do a sales speech but to show an alternative way to use Terragen and have fun.