Beach Rocky Ground Scene

Started by jar862, December 20, 2014, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jar862

Hello all. Thought I'd share something I've been working on and get thoughts and what have you. Been trying to learn how to use the fake stone shader. Still have some work to do to clean up the mask between layers. And of course there's a long way to go on the color/texture shaders. Which I'm terrible with at the moment. Love to hear what you guys think and how you'd improve on it.

JR

WAS

Quote from: jar862 on December 20, 2014, 11:54:50 AM
Hello all. Thought I'd share something I've been working on and get thoughts and what have you. Been trying to learn how to use the fake stone shader. Still have some work to do to clean up the mask between layers. And of course there's a long way to go on the color/texture shaders. Which I'm terrible with at the moment. Love to hear what you guys think and how you'd improve on it.

JR

I think you posted in the wrong forum, but definitely liking the sand a lot.

jar862

Yes, yes I did. One of these days I'll put something where it suppose to go. Been doing it ever since I was a little lad. Dang. Sorry folks. How about we try to remedy this by sharing the file too.

As is, it'll take forever cause of the reflective shaders.

WAS

Quote from: jar862 on December 20, 2014, 02:34:51 PM
Yes, yes I did. One of these days I'll put something where it suppose to go. Been doing it ever since I was a little lad. Dang. Sorry folks. How about we try to remedy this by sharing the file too.

As is, it'll take forever cause of the reflective shaders.

I've been trying to properly work out my use of reflective shaders for my "Super Sand Shader" I am working on haha. Definitely going to have a look, looks like a bit I can learn from here for sure. Thanks, and much appreciated.

Oshyan

No need to use raytraced reflections in this kind of situation. When you turn it off, it will save you a lot of render time. You'll still get specular, just not visibly reflected scene details, but you're not seeing that anyway at this point.

Nice-looking scene otherwise.

- Oshyan

jar862

Thanks a ton. Learning something every time I come here.

Dune

I see you use an inverse mapping sequence to not have overlapping stones. Another way of doing that is using a merge shader set to highest raise. The outcome may well be different though.

jar862

Thanks Dune. I think I had tried the merge shader but got so mixed up with it that I found a different approach I could wrap my head around. Though I'm pretty sure I never played with the 'highest' raise bit. I'm gonna give that a try as well today.