Imitating Drift Dunes/Lines in Snow/Sand

Started by WAS, December 20, 2014, 02:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to figure out how I can imitate sand/snow drifts. For example, how can I get the wavy look nice and close to each other without it coming off like a repeating pattern of no variance?

Any input would be great. Looking to use this method in both my Super Sand Shader and Super Snow Shader.

Example Image:

bobbystahr

When generating your terrain you might want to play around with the Voroni Ridges flavour...it does shapes like that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 20, 2014, 04:53:34 PM
When generating your terrain you might want to play around with the Voroni Ridges flavour...it does shapes like that.

Thanks! I already got a surface shader in there intended for another terrain layer for this feature. I'll give it a go.

bobbystahr

I think you can (haven't tried this but always meant to) use more than one Fractal terrain in the terrain editor and mask them with Simple Shape shaders.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

I think I am just having issues getting the scale right to even start getting down to details like that.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 21, 2014, 12:34:07 PM
I think I am just having issues getting the scale right to even start getting down to details like that.

Mr Lamppost made a grid package that has a surface square and a post in various metric sizes that I load unknown size objects into to get real world scales. I haven't checked in the file Sharing here but he did upload it to ashundar years back.
It's available here in terragen.org which used to be ashundar

http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/objects.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 21, 2014, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 21, 2014, 12:34:07 PM

Mr Lamppost made a grid package that has a surface square and a post in various metric sizes that I load unknown size objects into to get real world scales. I haven't checked in the file Sharing here but he did upload it to ashundar years back.
It's available here in terragen.org which used to be ashundar

http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/objects.htm

Oh hey, thanks for that. That'll definitely be useful for getting my ground foliage at the right scale compared to trees. Lol I'm not sure how to apply that to a PF though.