Weird Color Clipping

Started by WAS, December 20, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Read ones more what he wrote and how you responded.
You could have easily said the same thing quite in a same civil way.
There was a response that i felt wasn't needed-in that way at least- i know lately.
I was nearly going to PM him.
But saying that it is all the time here that way is exaggeration to say the least.
That is my problem,not the other parts of knowing this or that.
Looks like when somebody says one thing you answer with 10 things more aggressively.

Anyway i will try to stay away  from you threads until you calm down a little.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 22, 2014, 01:59:07 PM

Read ones more what he wrote and how you responded.
You could have easily said the same thing quite in a same civil way.
There was a response that i felt wasn't needed-in that way at least- i know lately.
I was nearly going to PM him.
But saying that it is all the time here that way is exaggeration to say the least.
That is my problem,not the other parts of knowing this or that.
Looks like when somebody says one thing you answer with 10 things more aggressively.

Anyway i will try to stay away  from you threads until you calm down a little.

You are right, I don't need to go about calling people "assholes" and such. You are 100% right. And I apologize to you all, and Bobbystahr.

But I have read so many posts from users who literally never posted again after the same people say the same thign over and over "why can't people learn to search" which is inherently calling someone stupid. It literally doesn't need to be posted, ever. Just either re-answer the question, or move along.

bobbystahr

Accepted, and thank you.
My comment was based on my personal learning experience in this forum and helping folks I know understand computer programs. In general my advise has been click on everything at least once to see what it is and play a bit...don't expect miracles. Then when you need help, well I posted  and got help every time, but my requests did not include a critique of everything about TG 2_3 and it's WIP WIKI. That only triggers negative responses from the extremely loyals. Maybe that's what ticked me off a bit as I found this one of the most helpful and friendly forums I've been to. As a colour blind artist everyone even accepts my use of image maps over procedurals without comment. And re: my Math-Disability(never got through school because of my hair) Any query I submit re: the maths is answered with great patience and the odd suggestion I brush up but at 66 I figger to die before I grok math at that level so I continue as I have been.
I'm not unfamiliar with Forums BTW, as I Moderated at renderosity for 7 years and as I previously mentioned there was a running battle tween the pro and con image taggers in the forums, I was obviously con and most of the staff were as well...seemed pointless when we had galleries for that kind of thing and a large image is way more exciting to view than a small image living at the bottom of a text box.
Guess that's the last I've got to input into the chat
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Except for the unneeded emotion, I tend to agree with WASasquatch's critique. People say things like "just try it" way too much (it always sounds likeFU, to me). Its a totally useless response. And I have also wanted to punch people in the mouth when I read it.

If it were not for people personally taking time to help me I would have gotten NO WHERE, using this forum. Trying TG at random is a complete waste of time, unless thats what you like to do. There is no reason at all to spend weeks and months learning answers to questions that are already known (hence the invention of books) Telling someone the answer, and then them doing it, is the same as learning on ones own, but way way faster and more productive.

But having said that, the fact that people take their own personal time to help me (including planetside staff!), says a lot about this community. A lot! I have never gotten the personal attention from other software forums that I get here, and see others get here everyday. Every single day.

But if you have been through the threads here you would know that not one single thing you said is new. It has been complained about by everyone, especially the "senior" users, at length and many many times. So people are more just tired to re-type everything, every time someone new comes in and asks the same questions for the millionth time. And a link is more helpful than no response at all.

So yes crit of the search function is valid. Everyone here knows that. But the search is not the only problem. People too often make subject headings that make no sense, further reducing the effectiveness of a search. And everyone here knows that as well, but keep doing it.

This forum, if other forums work the same or not, is almost entirely relationship based. Meaning you don't kiss asses. But you try to understand them and just except them. You will get the same back from everyone!

we are all 100% volunteers. Planetside is only 2 people right now, with a 3rd who works part time. They have to spend their time on the software. So yeah its up to us to make the forum better. But that is not our "responsibility", it is our hobby.

We are all just as passionate as you.

Anyway, I hope you take the time to get to know everyone here. I think you would regret your initial anger when you do. Everyone here is better people than you will know from just a few threads! And we all fight with each other from time to time anyway... That anyone can be an ass sometimes does not mean that they are not still awesome people (for my sake, I hope so)

Lastly, I want to say that I have felt every single emotion you expressed in your posts. But when I started we did not have all the tuts that we have now. Maybe you will save yourself a lot of the same suffering that most of us went through if you go to the geekatplay site and do all of the TG tuts there? I WISH, that those had been available when I started. I would be so much further along now.

I think that you will be a good addition here. You already are sharing good work and good files!! The rest of this is old news.

About the tag. If you like it keep it, and dont let anyone bully you. But truthfully, though it is allowed, do you see anyone else use it? It is IMO pretty visually distracting when reading a thread. But the only real problem, is that it appears in every single post in every single thread that you post in from now until the end of time, over and over and over. It is irritating.

IMO
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

PS,

Now that this is all posted, a troll WILL see it, and use the tag thing deliberately try to piss everyone off. Imagine that guy who wants to kill every muslim return with a giant tag in every thread. Or the one who said he built a render farm out of old used PCs he found at goodwill stores (that one still makes me giggle  ;D)

A photo bomb is inevitable now.

sigh
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Really, you sounded, like you have had a really bad day, and had to let off some steam.
You should really take your time when writing posts. Something like:
"...I am very avid in user relations, and can spot a bad, and dying community (!!!) from miles away. This community is only alive by it's senior members, who almost religiously make it a point to make new users uncomfortable." is really a slap in a senior troll's face.

OK, I really appreciate your apologies. Hats off! Be gentle!

Btw, I'm looking forward to all the fresh meat I can make feel uncomfortable. Amen. Troll's word of honour. ;) ;) ;)

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on December 22, 2014, 04:58:45 PM
PS,

Now that this is all posted, a troll WILL see it, and use the tag thing deliberately try to piss everyone off. Imagine that guy who wants to kill every muslim return with a giant tag in every thread. Or the one who said he built a render farm out of old used PCs he found at goodwill stores (that one still makes me giggle  ;D)

A photo bomb is inevitable now.

sigh

I really don't get how having a tag image, and someone then creating a ultimately offensive image has anything negative against its principles, that's just some crazy person being offensive and weird and abusing something. Like links in signatures that can link to malware and all sorts of nasty stuff.

Everything aside, no, it has not been the best day, but let's not get into personal life issues... Lol :-X

TheBadger

You can vent here! Just in open. I do it all the time   ;D  :-\  :-X
It has been eaten.

Dune

To me you were like a new guest arriving at a pleasant party shouting "Here I am, me, see, look at me, there is not enough wine!" Pisses me off. Like said by others, you can't expect things, they are as they are, and if you don't like it, leave. We all do our best (the amazing staff, and we volunteers), but we like to keep it pleasant and positive. People like you take away my enthusiasm to help, so I hope things will get back to before from now.

Not aimed at you, Michael  ;)

yossam

Couldn't have been said better Ulco.  :-X

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Oshyan

Everyone good now? I hope so. No need for harsh words, we're all friends here. :)

Sasquatch, we'd like to improve the search, but this forum system doesn't have a great one. We actually have a plugin installed that improves on the default, and that still isn't as good as we'd like. Switching forum systems would be a major undertaking, so it's something we do have to live with to some degree. That being said the majority of the contents is indexed by Google, and many other forums (that use the system we use, SMF, as well as other systems from phpBB to vBulletin and more) have decided to make available custom Google searches of their own forum content right from the forum pages. So that's something we can consider. In the meantime, maybe bookmark this?
https://www.google.com/#q=yourquery+site:http:%2F%2Fwww.planetside.co.uk%2Fforums%2F
:D

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 22, 2014, 02:24:53 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2014, 01:43:14 AM
The Default Shader has an input for Reflectivity Function, which allows you to get more control over the reflectivity. It has a number of other inputs such as Displacement, Translucency, etc. for the same reason. So just use a separate Reflective Shader and feed it into that input on your Default Shader.

- Oshyan

Oh sweet, thanks for the information Oshyan!

That isn't quite right. You don't want to plug a reflective shader into reflectivity function; that's not going to work.

The Defauly Shader's reflectivity works exactly like the Reflective Shader with ray-traced reflections turned off. It will give you specular reflections of primary light sources (e.g. Sunlight) and also uses the GI cache to approximate soft reflections of the environment. If this is what you want, the Default Shader will do just as good a job as the Reflective Shader. I'm not able to see right now whether it has separate control over highlight intensity, however.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Hah, my brilliant tip rendered null and void. I admit, I was going from memory as well. *eek* Well, it sounds as if there might be a bug here then, given the artifacts that are happening? Can you email the scene file to us perhaps? support@planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan