Weird Color Clipping

Started by WAS, December 20, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

The main thing that the Default Shader's built-in reflectivity doesn't have is the ray-traced reflection option. So if you want that, you would chain a Reflective Shader after the Default Shader to use the Ref. Shader to achieve your reflections; that might be what you're remembering Oshyan.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 23, 2014, 09:07:27 PM
Everyone good now? I hope so. No need for harsh words, we're all friends here. :)

Sasquatch, we'd like to improve the search, but this forum system doesn't have a great one. We actually have a plugin installed that improves on the default, and that still isn't as good as we'd like. Switching forum systems would be a major undertaking, so it's something we do have to live with to some degree. That being said the majority of the contents is indexed by Google, and many other forums (that use the system we use, SMF, as well as other systems from phpBB to vBulletin and more) have decided to make available custom Google searches of their own forum content right from the forum pages. So that's something we can consider. In the meantime, maybe bookmark this?
https://www.google.com/#q=yourquery+site:http:%2F%2Fwww.planetside.co.uk%2Fforums%2F
:D

- Oshyan

Yes, I am good.

What mods do you have installed all together? Do you know. I can install said mods on a fresh copy of this version of SMF, and try and improve the search. I am a PHP developer (IP.Board 1.0.1 - 1.3.1 Final / vBulletin Support / BoonEx) and considering this is just a clone of IP.Board and phpBB fused together, I don't see it being too difficult.

Only reason I had the comments I had. You can complain and call me out as the problem maker, but I am paid to fix Social Communities and write rules of conduct, all the way to the features those users make down to UX design. Been doing it for years, and while I may have walked into a party demanding, it's only because the party was lacking anything that make a party, and the hosts were telling me to go to the store instead of being hosts. :P I don't like links to other topics. They render a post inert and take up MySQL memory, CPU, and Space. So make each post a resource to learn from imo.

If I was a mod here I'd have removed almost a quarter of the posts from this forum because they're either embarrassing of the community (fights like these from users like me), and redundant topics just taking up space and search results; making new users uncomfortable or just going off on them when they may not even know how to work their browser correctly let alone a under-used forum like SMF. Oshyan's link to use Google brings up about 25% useful links and the rest redundant topics of links going elsewhere, or just "use the search engine!" lol

So a lot of the problem now is users too used to the search engine causing havoc on what the search engine is for, finding useful information. So a lot of it is topics pointing to other topics, or not even that benefit and just a lecture from a senior member on using the search engine. These posts even come up before the posts of actual information regarding the search term like "Fake Stones" etc.

Quote from: Matt on December 23, 2014, 10:18:48 PM
The main thing that the Default Shader's built-in reflectivity doesn't have is the ray-traced reflection option. So if you want that, you would chain a Reflective Shader after the Default Shader to use the Ref. Shader to achieve your reflections; that might be what you're remembering Oshyan.

Matt

I actually sort of figured this from the beginning as with reflect to 1 with everything max, there was never any 'reflections' just color refraction.

My PSU fried due to a render with a typo in settings causing CPU and RAM to peak the entire time. So I am waiting on a replacement and seeing how much rendering this Rasberry Pi can do before it busts. Lol it was free, w/e.

I'm reworking my desert scene now and will try to revise my vision. However already having issues with sand dunes. Did get some nice distant mountains looking very 'tatooine' like haha

archonforest

Not sure if this is possible but might be:

We might have a tab(tabs) under the search. Like there is a tab for "Fake stones" for example and all earlier topics that are discussing this matter are linked there?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

I'm not sure what your idea is, really. But it sounds like it would take some coding, which we can't do (WASasquatch has offered, however...), and it's not clear to me how it would differ from normal search results.

- Oshyan