Exporting Objects

Started by WAS, January 02, 2015, 02:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So, I found a rather nice free sail boat I wanted to use... I'm not very good with models. Trying to figure it out. Anyways. When I loaded the original model into TG, it was all black, and I figured it was the part shaders. So I went to explore them only to find out there was nothing inside the Parts Shader. Nothing.

So I opened the file in Poseray and found it does, indeed, have group parts, but all but Wood say "TooBig01", "TooBig02", etc. The ship, when added to Terragen is quite massive in scale. The default "2000" amplitude mountain is dwarfed by it, and it get reasonable (probably still to big) proportions you must scale to 0.1. When I re-saved the object I was able to get the Wood Default Shader to appear within the Parts Shader, but all the "TooBig" groups did not export.

Any ideas?

N-drju

That's a long shot, but have you tried to export that through DAZ Studio? I never had any problems with disappearing parts there.

Although, once I saved a fully textured human model as a .tgo file only to find out that all the parts disappeared and it was black, just as it was in your case. But that was a one time occurrence.

You say that this object is massive, so if I were you I'd probably take it to some modelling software and scale it down there. It's a guess, but perhaps those "TooBig" parts are in fact so outrageously big that TG can't support them?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

TheBadger

""TooBig" parts are in fact so outrageously big that TG can't support them?"

That would be interesting in and of its self.
It has been eaten.

WAS

Well it seems to be the case.

If I load the raw file (in TG), it will have no parts what so ever. If I export via Poseray, I can get the Wood part to come through, but the rest of the groups are "TooBig" so, probably too big for TG and Poseray.

Is DAZ Studio free? I got so many of these weird software packages now I don't know which to go to.

N-drju

Yes. The software itself is free. It is generally intended for human modeling, but there are lots of other stuff in DAZ bundles like vehicles, clothing etc. so apparently you could resize, edit and texture a pre-made sailboat there too...

I'm sorry I can't give you more definite answer. It might also be the case that the texture size of that "TooBig" part is ridiculously large. When I was re-texturing human models for the first time in TG, it crashed, because it simply could not handle the number of textures that came with the DAZ Studio lady I was trying to put into TG world.

EDIT

Or else, I can try and find another sailboat freebie on my computer that I've downloaded some time ago. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on January 02, 2015, 04:49:05 AM
Yes. The software itself is free. It is generally intended for human modeling, but there are lots of other stuff in DAZ bundles like vehicles, clothing etc. so apparently you could resize, edit and texture a pre-made sailboat there too...

I'm sorry I can't give you more definite answer. It might also be the case that the texture size of that "TooBig" part is ridiculously large. When I was re-texturing human models for the first time in TG, it crashed, because it simply could not handle the number of textures that came with the DAZ Studio lady I was trying to put into TG world.

EDIT

Or else, I can try and find another sailboat freebie on my computer that I've downloaded some time ago. ;)

I tried DAZ, same issue, and crashes. Whatever this guy made this quarter planet-sized model in must be a beast of a program. O.O This could also be RAM related with me. I have only 3.5GB usable (there is 5.0GB but not sure what's going on there... PSU Crash may have taken a card with it)

If you have other sail boats or know where some good ones are that'd be awesome. I only found a modern-looking one and RMS Titanic and another steam vessel on that website. RMS Titanic is awesome (favorite subject) but not feeling it right now. I've never tried ice bergs or nice water yet up close yet.

Kadri

Not sure what your problem is guys.
I could load the object without a problem in Terragen and with all the different parts intact after a basic operation in Poseray.

*Load the 3DS object into Poseray (The OBJ file had not different groups).
*Go to the Materials  tab and click "Tools".
*Choose the first option "Groups->Materials". Say yes in the next windows.
*Export the the OBJ file with the options you want.

I think you can even scale the object too there but i didn't bother because a scale of 0.01 was enough to see it in the 3D preview window in Terragen.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 02, 2015, 10:38:08 PM

Not sure what your problem is guys.
I could load the object without a problem in Terragen and with all the different parts intact after a basic operation in Poseray.

*Load the 3DS object into Poseray (The OBJ file had not different groups).
*Go to the Materials  tab and click "Tools".
*Choose the first option "Groups->Materials". Say yes in the next windows.
*Export the the OBJ file with the options you want.

I think you can even scale the object too there but i didn't bother because a scale of 0.01 was enough to see it in the 3D preview window in Terragen.

The object was the file in question. I wasn't using the 3DS file. However, even following your directions:

Kadri

Not sure what your problem is with that.
It is only a name.The important thing is you have different surface parts in this way in Terragen.
If i would use a surface name with "Youcantloadthis" would that matter if you still could load it into Terragen?

Kadri

[attach=1]

I changed the colors to be seen better.

WAS

The original names aren't TooBig. If they were why name only the deck "Wood" that's pretty silly. Lol They are changing to that, and the material is lost...

I like that you got all the materials to load, but for me, only Wood loads in TG on original object. It IS breaking. Because it IS massive. So massive Terragen freezes during import. Your method breaks all together.

here is comparison of both methods of just exporting, and yours

Again, following your method, that is the result in TG (right image)

Kadri

You are stubborn,aren't you?  ;)

The "toobig" names were probably only because of the restrictions of the old 3DS file format.
This is made with the original OBJ file with the same method as i wrote above.
OBJ doesn't have the restrictions so all of the surface is one part.

[attachimg=1]

Kadri

Your main problem is this objects need a good texturing season.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 03, 2015, 12:49:49 AM
Your main problem is this objects need a good texturing season.

It's suppose to have it's textures if you read the description and preview images....

And the materials and groups are there, how do those just merge into one shader? Wood? I definitely would say that is not how the file is meant to output. lol

I think there is suppose to be color diffusion, and different parts to represent the paint as shown in the previews?

I mean you show me this "File" with all these parts. I followed your directions and cannot reproduce. And you are calling me stubborn? Or are you stubborn to the fact a error is happening here. Wow. Clearly I am having trouble loading the file. The whole point of the topic. If you have so little issues, maybe share your file and let me see if it loads. Cause mine do not, and look nothing like yours following your directions. Do me a favor and don't comment on my topics. You are incapable of understanding them let alone directing me with things that don't work and then calling me stubborn.

Kadri

Terragen can handle very very big object and image files very easily.
That is the part i don't understand.
I am having a render going on a laptop as i am trying these things without a problem.
This object isn't even a file i could say big at all for me.

Regarding the surfaces of the obj file and the 3ds file doesn't look ready to use.
For a one part UV surfaced object i haven't seen an appropriate image in the RAR.
There are only texture parts you could use in another software.
I think the other files are better for this but i can not test them.
Maybe in that aspect you get what you paid for with this file formats.
Others might be more a help with the different file formats probably.