What am I doing Wrong?

Started by bobbystahr, January 30, 2015, 10:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I can't seem to get a population on any surface beside the top Y surface, see scr grb......help please, it's making me nits.

EDIT....er nuts really.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Did you use a Distribution shader?

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on January 30, 2015, 10:21:40 PM
Did you use a Distribution shader?
yup, had no effect...I'm generally quite good at pops but this has me buffaloed
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kadri

Population is on the Y axis as i remember.
You have to rotate the populator to populate the underside.
So for full coverage you have to use 2 populations.

Oshyan

Correct, it populates top-down, as if you just dropped all the instances from above the object and they stuck where they landed.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Hmmmm, I'm more concerned about getting it on the sides, I don't have the version to do 4 pops if rotating is the answer. So far this is as far a I can get it to populate down the sides and it's no where near half way which would be just what I want. Any other ideas or a different explanation as they should have landed on the slopes further down, the pop size is a fair bit larger than the displaced cube.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I guess as it's a still I can juat rotate the one pop...I'll try that
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kadri

Try to rotate the population 45 degree or so Y pointing to us and see what happens.
Lean to normal might help a little too to cover (or as it looks it is covering) the rock.

Matt

When the population "projects" down onto the object, it projects onto the object as it exists before displacement. Sometimes the displacement changes the shape enough where strange things like this can happen. The instances move with the displacement, but only after they have already been assigned places to sit on the object.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.