Get info from object bounding box

Started by Ashley, February 05, 2015, 08:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Hi,

I'm curious if there is a way to maybe 'get' data from an imported object?
What I'm trying to do is get the width, height, depth and potentially the location of an object based on its bounding box.

I already know how to do this in an external app, but would be a time saver if it can be done inside TG, any suggestions welcome  :)

Cheers

choronr

Having that information, what would you do with it?

Ashley

I use it to position imagemaps, cameras, masks, sss shaders etc...

bobbystahr

For location right click the spot you want and Copy Coords. and I paste em into a note pad if I don't need to use them right away. Also there's a fair bit of info/data in the image map shader itself re: size etc., and I almost always add a Transform shader after any image map shader for sizing and rotation as well as translation.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I guess Ashley wants to have TG take the location data automatically, not by hand, and I don't think that's possible.

Ashley

@bobbystahr
Thanks for the tip, very handy  :)

Dune is right though, I want the data automatically.

My workflow involves going between TG and external apps. I use the data specifically so that I can locate and replace procedural terrains with displacement maps which is based on geometry.
Currently I get the bounding box info from an external app and punch that into the shader/camera etc in TG.

Usually I need the numbers to be accurate. However on occasion using the technique bobbystahr mentioned will work.

I suppose if I start the process in TG, then I would already have the data I want, on the other hand I'm not always working in such a linear fashion but its a nice idea  ;)

Cheers

bobbystahr

There's also the 3D Preview Location box available under View that will give lots of info on a mouse over...I know this ain't what you want/need but thought I'd mention it any way.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Ashley

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 08, 2015, 09:49:12 AM
There's also the 3D Preview Location box available under View that will give lots of info on a mouse over...I know this ain't what you want/need but thought I'd mention it any way.

Thanks, that tool is great didn't know about it.   :)
Ok so considering that I can display an objects bounding box and have a combination of the ruler tool and 3d preview location tool, seems like I can get pretty accurate values.

Also seems like getting an automatic read out wouldn't be hard either  ;)
If not for the accuracy then simply for the speed. But its clear this can be done manually to a degree.

Cheers

bobbystahr

You keep sayin object's bounding box...the object can be displayed ever which way from Bounding Box to Textured from the drop down in Preview mode...is that at all helpful?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Ashley

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 09, 2015, 06:14:15 PM
You keep sayin object's bounding box...the object can be displayed ever which way from Bounding Box to Textured from the drop down in Preview mode...is that at all helpful?

I know, what I'm referring to is the boundaries of an object. Height, Width, Depth. Not about display options.
This is not holding me up, I understand better what I can get from TG, its limitations and work arounds.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
Cheers