Sounding Rocket

Started by lat 64, March 09, 2015, 03:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lat 64

Just want to say thanks to Oysteroid for the help with the rokcet plume(http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19639.0.html)
and to Dandelo for the night sky work(http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19264.0.html)
The Aurora is all mine :D

The image is a Black Brant XII Sounding Rocket that I modeled in Sketchup. 

I wil be working on an animation of this. It's just that moving the plume of smoke to follow the rocket is not as easy as I first thought.

Cheers all
Russ
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

russe166

I like it  :) have tried something similar but have not came very far yet. Can you band the rocket plume into a curve?

3Dships

Cool Pic...! Thanks for those links still need to sort Smoke & Dark Hours.
The passions are the winds that fill the ship's sails; although they sometimes cause its destruction it could not proceed without them. -Voltaire-

inkydigit

Cool idea, nicely executed!
:)
J

lat 64

@ inkydigit,
Thanks to you too. You were inspirational in the wole fumarole thing.
Guess that's why we have a forum. 8)

Bending a smoke plume, whew! Probably some blue node scalar thing. Way over my little head.

Dune

Really nice work. I hope you get the smoke movement to work. I haven't worked with Oysteroid's file yet, so can't be of any help. But I assume you need a pretty high cloud layer, and within that move the mask up with the spacecraft and do some fractal transforming.

Dune

Bending can be done with a warp shader fed by a gradient (distribution shader or distance shader+cam) and a displacement shader.

lat 64

Quote from: Dune on March 09, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
....I assume you need a pretty high cloud layer, and within that move the mask up with the spacecraft and do some fractal transforming.
An epiphany! I think I am actually beginning to understand what you are suggesting.

Just a note for "nubes" like me: The blue node, Constant vector source position shift, in Oysteroid's .clp is the key to setting the location of the plume. Set x,y,z to same as cloud center.

Dune

Now that you mention your last info; maybe you can animate the cloud altitude as well, never done that, but assume it's possible. Then you don't need a very high layer, thus less grain.

mhaze

Excellent work - amazing what can be done with just one idea.

DocCharly65

Oh cool...

Ideas, ideas and more ideas ... I just love this forum!

russe166

Quote from: Dune on March 09, 2015, 12:01:33 PM
Bending can be done with a warp shader fed by a gradient (distribution shader or distance shader+cam) and a displacement shader.

Thanks for the tip  :) I will try it ...