Xfrog files better TGO or OBJ

Started by DocCharly65, May 15, 2015, 05:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

These days I checked my archive and noticed, that I downloaded most of my Xfrog-libraries only as obj-files, because originally I thought to use them in cryengine too.

Now I am not sure if it was a good idea - does choosing between TGO or OBJ have impact on the in visual quality of the objects (plants) or not?

Dune

Not that I'm aware of. I heard that tgo is just a 'zipped' version of obj. You can make tgo's from obj's, which I do all the time. The other way round sometimes gives problems.

DocCharly65

Hannes

...and most of the time you'll have to adjust most of the shaders anyway.
Don't get me wrong, this Xfrog stuff is great, but it's no out-of-the-box-solution.

bobbystahr

What Hannes just said...I find myself replacing default bark with stuff I've collected over the years, sometimes also leaf textures as making an alpha map for em is easy peasy in photoshop
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Just make your own textures. I do a lot of photographing trees, then in photoshop there's a filter; shift. If you set that to half the pixel width and height (you need an even width and height), you get a 'cross' of overlap in the center. There you clone towards a smooth transition and (if necessary) shift again until it's in orginal view again. Then use Pixplant to make a displacement map, in Photoshop set it greyscale (lesser Mb's). But there are other ways also.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 18, 2015, 02:17:02 AM
Then use Pixplant to make a displacement map, in Photoshop set it greyscale (lesser Mb's). But there are other ways also.

Looks like a cool program but a bit pricey for me...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Did you try Xnormal already Bobby?

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 18, 2015, 11:46:26 AM
Did you try Xnormal already Bobby?

I think I did dl it but am very ADD lately so I don't think i remembered to install it...thanks for the reminder Jochen...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New