St Mary Lake - V7

Started by Gannaingh, May 20, 2015, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Recreating real world places is very tricky since reality is not constrained by RAM, detail settings, or population limits. Despite this I'm attempting to create an acceptable image of the oh so beautiful St. Mary Lake in Montana. I need to work on the strata coloring on the near vertical surfaces as well as improving the sharpness of the eroded surfaces. I'm also missing an island in the lake, but that's relatively easy to fix. Thanks for taking a look!

bobbystahr

Beautiful...from DEM? If so BigBen may have the missing data....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Lovely - wish I was there :D

Gannaingh

Thanks guys! Yes, it is a DEM, doing this without one would significantly increase the challenge to unimaginable levels for me haha.

otakar

The real thing is indeed breathtaking and definitely worth a visit :)

That's a nice render and I really love the variety of trees and shades of colors you have in the foreground. The right hand shore probably needs some attention - more detail. How about the sky? Really needs a Big Sky treatment :)

DannyG

This is going to get good... bet!
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

DocCharly65

I'm curious too.  Will be a great view!

Gannaingh

Some improvements have been made, the biggest one being a major change in the lighting to shore more texture on the right hand cliff faces. I need to tweak it some more to get some more light on the left side of the image, but overall it's an improvement. The atmosphere still needs more work, but it's coming along nicely.

bla bla 2

Kadri

Nice improvement.
I like the shadows actually.And the rocks do look much more realistic.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

This is very nice. The foreground trees are very realistic for one thing.

Oshyan

This looks quite good. Nice work!

- Oshyan

Hannes

That second one looks much more realistic!

mhaze

Excellent, looks much better.