A Get Started Terragen 2 Tutorial for the Terrified

Started by schmeerlap, October 09, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutronic

Yeah, just need them flaming trees* to show up. I have posted elsewhere about that.

*not actual flaming trees, just trees.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Nutronic on June 02, 2015, 09:52:03 AM
Yeah, just need them flaming trees* to show up. I have posted elsewhere about that.

*not actual flaming trees, just trees.

Likely a matter of scale and where the camera is. From that height and distance I'd expect tiny trees way down on the ground.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Nutronic on June 02, 2015, 11:10:33 AM
It was down to scale :)

If everything is as is in the tute your camera is currently about 600 meters up in the air at 830m as in the tute, and the ground level is 213.114m.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Nutronic

Here's my final result.

I did want to add the rock arch but it wouldn't work, just showed as a blob/lump.

I also wanted to remove the haze around the mountain so it appeared closer/more colourful but not sure how.

[attachimg=1]

archonforest

Pretty cool first render 8)
BTW, welcome to the forum.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Nutronic

Thanks Archon.

I reckon if I could get rid of that Haze that is appearing infront of the mountain it would look more vibrant and real.

Anyone know how to make it less faded up there?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Nutronic on June 02, 2015, 01:05:10 PM
Thanks Archon.

I reckon if I could get rid of that Haze that is appearing infront of the mountain it would look more vibrant and real.

Anyone know how to make it less faded up there?

Lower the haze height. John doubled it in the tutorial for a Scottish atmosphere which tends to foggy.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Nutronic

I am in Cumbria, south of Scotland so yeah it's usually wet here too lol

bobbystahr

Quote from: Nutronic on June 02, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
Here's my final result.

I did want to add the rock arch but it wouldn't work, just showed as a blob/lump.

I also wanted to remove the haze around the mountain so it appeared closer/more colourful but not sure how.

[attachimg=1]

So did you lower the camera or move the population closer...or just scale it up. The models that come free are when loaded at the proper scale for real life I've found. Not so on many others but those 3 trees are accurate. So when I want real life scale I often add a single adult Fir to scale the other trees to and disable it if it's not appropriate to the scene once I've established scale. A bit cumbersome but I've found it makes better use of models re: scale to stick close to real world scale. For fantasy I just scale everything willy nilly; but say doing a scene with lights coming out of a house windows, it's easier to get good lighting at real world scale.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Just as an example here's 2 tests I did with objects. The default grass clump is 1 m. with .3 blade height and 100 blades, and at the default camera you can only distinguish it by vague colour differences. I put the grass on a Distribution shader using the Grass Surface layer for dispersal and it's a 1000 x 1000 patch bottom left which is closest to the camera. In shot 2 the camera is down from 830 m. to 122 m. and zoomed in on the trees a bit
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

Keep the haze increase the contrast a bit (effects tab) best of both
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Nutronic

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 02, 2015, 01:56:55 PM
Quote from: Nutronic on June 02, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
Here's my final result.

[attachimg=1]

So did you lower the camera or move the population closer...or just scale it up. The models that come free are when loaded at the proper scale for real life I've found. Not so on many others but those 3 trees are accurate. So when I want real life scale I often add a single adult Fir to scale the other trees to and disable it if it's not appropriate to the scene once I've established scale. A bit cumbersome but I've found it makes better use of models re: scale to stick close to real world scale. For fantasy I just scale everything willy nilly; but say doing a scene with lights coming out of a house windows, it's easier to get good lighting at real world scale.

I went with scaling them up :)

-

As for Haze.

I can't get rid of it, for some reason it doesnt move. Will try increasing contrast instead...later when I have time :)

Dune

It's important to work in real world scales, then you have a quite natural haze by default. If your terrain is 10x too big (I mean the size of displacements and objects), haze will certainly be far too dense and blue. There's a measure, and you can use a simple shape of certain proportions to check sizes.

bobbystahr

Also for getting everything together scale wise there is MrLamppost's Grid Pack over at ashundar that I use a lot.
Here is a link I posted a while back. Says tg2 but works fine in any version.

http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/objects.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New