working with objects

Started by Kevin F, July 01, 2015, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Having just completed a render using lots of images (28) and 3 populations of objects/TGO's a couple of possible improvements came to mind.
First, it would be a real improvement if when positioning objects in a scene you could selectively lock the x,y,z handles so that if you need to move an object in the x direction, locking y and z would remain fixed and not need further adjustment. This applies to population editing as well, with individual objects in populations often moving in 2 or more directions at once.

Also when you change the colour of an object or part of an object, as you click ok in the colour picker why does the render window reappear? This is really annoying especially if you test render is large or full screen. It dosen't happen if you change an image map for example, just when you change colours. Can this be changed?

zaxxon

Some good issues. Just locking the object selected would be a good start, locking to an axis would be even better. It would also be nice to have an object newly loaded to be selected automatically as well.  As to moving pops I have a question: are you asking that all objects within the pop retain their spacing relationships when the base coordinate is re-located? That would be nice, but don't the other parameters such as slope and distribution then change the original relationships? I've also noticed that when manually selecting objects in the viewport, that if the gizmo is set to 'translate' that a mouse-over will highlight the object allowing easy selection, but if the gizmo is set to 'scale' or 'rotate' then selection is far more difficult.

Dune

Strange, I never had the instance or object move in more than one direction. You pick one handle an move along that axis only. Occasionaly I picked the wrong handle, also with scale and rotation, but that was because I didn't hover the preview close enough or in the right angle to see it clearly.

bobbystahr

I've found if I accidentally click on the dead centre of all 3 axis' I can move any way I want, only in the Current Camera view...haven't noticed this in the front, left. or right views...most often happens when editing a population moving stuff around or off rocks....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

You can move an object freely from the center point. If you want to move in just one direction, click on the specific axis arrow (it can help to reorient the camera to do this sometimes). The Render window popping forward is probably just a window order focus issue and I'm not certain we have control over it (i.e. it may be just in order of the last window created by the application, as detected by Windows). If you don't keep your Render window open it should not do this though...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 03, 2015, 02:41:39 PM
You can move an object freely from the center point. If you want to move in just one direction, click on the specific axis arrow (it can help to reorient the camera to do this sometimes). The Render window popping forward is probably just a window order focus issue and I'm not certain we have control over it (i.e. it may be just in order of the last window created by the application, as detected by Windows). If you don't keep your Render window open it should not do this though...

- Oshyan

Cool, I sorta suspected that was by design and use it often. You can move an object willy nilly all over the place and as long as you can see it drop to ground fixes it height.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist