Official feature request for OBJ-sequences

Started by Hannes, August 09, 2015, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

As a result of this thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20351.msg201668.html#msg201668
...I now declare that I officially request the following feature: ;)
please make it possible to loop an object sequence, so that you don't have to copy identical objects to fill the length of a whole animation.
And: please implement an offset feature for object sequences in populations (and in single objects of course). I know that someone (I think it was Matt) once said, that it's quite complicated to create an offset feature, so that each instance of a population has a random starting point.
At least to me it would be OK, to have one offset for all instances. You could get enough variation by using several populations with different offsets.

Imagine you have an object sequence of a human character walking loop. Let's say 25 "frames". If each object has 2MB, which seems realistic for a low poly character, you'd have a total of 50MB for the whole sequence. If we'd have the feature, I've requested, we wouldn't need anything more to get thousands of people randomly walking in one direction.

At the moment we'd have to copy the sequence twelve times for a 300 frames animation, which makes 600MB. For only one population! For an offset loop, we'd have to copy the whole thing over and over again. If we'd have five populations with different sequence starting points the whole thing already has 3GB!

I really don't know, but is it very complicated to make TG handle object sequences as described? 
In the animation curve editor it's possible to select "move by value" and add a number to it. Isn't something like that a way to treat existing object sequences? It may sound naive, because I have absolutely no idea of programming: something like "Galloping_horse_0000 to 0024" - "Move by value" +5 or something like that...

Kadri

+
It should be in the animation module like in Lightwave that does have a Pre Behavior and Post Behavior feature for keying with options like Reset,Constant,Repeat,Oscillate,Offset repeat,linear.

It doesn't have to be the same of course but we need much more options in however form they are implemented :)

Dune

QuoteAt least to me it would be OK, to have one offset for all instances. You could get enough variation by using several populations with different offsets.
I think it would be best handled in the population settings (somehow), so you're still able to load only one sequence as a base for several populations (by linking to the base sequence).

Hannes

Dune

Kadri

Maybe we are saying the same thing but those settings should be more of a part in general of the animation side.
With keyframing of anything you can do (Animation panel).
In this way everything you can animate in Terragen can use those options.Not only populations.

Kadri

I just tried to see the work it needs from a programmers perspective (for that i have absolutely no clue about).
When i thought that nearly every input file can be animated in Terragen
adding such features might be more problematic-time consuming then it looks for us.
I hope i am wrong :)

Hannes

If only it would be possible to do that where sequences are used at the moment, which is textures and objects, it would be fantastic!

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on August 10, 2015, 04:50:20 PM
If only it would be possible to do that where sequences are used at the moment, which is textures and objects, it would be fantastic!

Yes.

Hannes

Kadri

Bahhh...looks like they are wasting time at a place they call SIGGRAPH or something  :P ;D

TheBadger

All work and no play ;D

+1 one on all requests to make animation in TG better.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Matt will leave Siggraph full of ideas and renewed energy, so this will all be implemented in no time  ::)

Hannes

Oh yes, please!!!!!!!!