Basic crowd sim possibility

Started by Kadri, August 06, 2015, 09:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

The sliding is less visible when the feet are hidden.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on August 18, 2015, 10:43:56 AM
The sliding is less visible when the feet are hidden.

Indeed.Quite a difference.

Dune

j meyer

8) !
You could try to separate the feet too,to get a more natural look maybe.
Anyway,keep it up men!

TheBadger

Curious if matt has used this stuff in his film work, either him self, or if his clients have used it. Hard to believe he did not know this can be done.

I am just bringing it up because you guys could have done this awhile back, but just discovered it. I think that is kinda a cool story in and of its self. But how could the people who made the program not know?

Just interesting, thats all. :)
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Jochen, maybe this could work, but I think, it would be overkill. All in all this will never be a serious competitor for a real crowd simulation like Massive for example, although I really like the result. I have seen crowd simulations that looked way more unnatural.
But I guess in the film business, they would always rely on dedicated softwares. Our solution is much too limited.

Michael, I'm not sure if Matt didn't know that we can animate a population like that. Anyway I'd like to hear Matt chiming in, to see if there are plans for improving this thing. A sophisticated particle system for example would be fantastic. Or improving the population feature to make things like a better crowd simulation possible.

OK, here is another test. I created a more neutral texture map for the guy, and used separate texture maps (image map shaders plus transform shaders with World Space checked, that are animated to move exactly like the populations) like the one below to add some variation for the clothing.

The head is still the same, but I'm working on it...

Dune

Terrific. If you use a girl with adress you would eliminate the leg-breaking issue. But the dress would be very stiff then. It's always something.

Kadri

Oopss! I didn't saw the animation file Hannes. Looks great :)

Hannes

Thanks guys. Ulco, first I didn't know what you mean by a girl with "adress" (there's a "d" missing I thought)  ;D ;D ;D.
Funny typo!
Well I think a dress would make things even worse. Very stiff as you said.

OK here is an animation with five different heads (textures). Sorry for the jerky camera movement. I first transformed the image sequence to an uncompressed AVI, which looks perfectly smooth, but after creating an MP4 out of it, it looked like that. I checked the framerate - it's OK.  :( :( :(

I discovered some things: Upscaling the instances in the population's "Scale"-tab works, which I didn't expect. Of course you have to adjust the speed of the population area's movement accordingly.
Rotating works as well. I really had thought that manipulating the scale and the rotation would screw up the walking animation i. e. the connection of the limbs to the body. Well, as I said this is very limited, but from a distance it's OK I think.

Ah yes, and there are some instances overlapping, which of course looks a bit weird...

Kadri

Indeed it looks like from a certain distance it would work. Nice.

TheBadger

The one with all the skinheads was kinda provocative. Someone needs to do one with a large company of stormtroopers  :o
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Do you mean the Star Wars stormtroopers or the 70 years old german ones? ;)
Seriously, the Star wars storm troopers shouldn't be too hard to use for this kind of animation, since their limbs aren't that smoothly connected to their bodies due to their armour, and there are lots of good models in the net, and some of them are free as far as I remember. I'll see, what I can find...

Dune

Yeah, funny typo indeed. Didn't see it. Great update. I think if you use just a few guys (and a horse) and have them walk along a path in the distance it would really look good!

TheBadger

Quote from: Hannes on August 20, 2015, 11:23:09 AM
Do you mean the Star Wars stormtroopers or the 70 years old german ones? ;)
Seriously, the Star wars storm troopers shouldn't be too hard to use for this kind of animation, since their limbs aren't that smoothly connected to their bodies due to their armour, and there are lots of good models in the net, and some of them are free as far as I remember. I'll see, what I can find...

LOL!
Well both would make a instant attention grabber. But indeed I meant star wars troopers... The new movie is coming soon after all, so no reason not to nerd out about it. ;D sigh.

Really looking forward to it Hannes, that would really just be perfect for all the testing you have done. Almost exactly the kind of film application you were after?

If you have the energy please add a star wars ship/aircraft over head too. Go crazy with it if you have the time. Cant imagine a topic that will get you more happy views than star wars... Sigh
;D

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090918154725/starwars/images/7/7d/Grand_army_formation.jpg
or something.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Thanks Michael! Still playing with my actual crowd, but stormtroopers would definitely be perfect for this kind of stuff.
No color variation needed! :)