Basic crowd sim possibility

Started by Kadri, August 06, 2015, 09:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Robot kind of animated populations would be even easier.

Hannes

Here is the first troopers test. Seems to be working. Some small intersecting parts have to be fixed, but all in all it's OK I think.

Kadri

Very nice :) As it looks i am Star Wars brainwashed. As i watched your video i felt like i hear this melody :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv5sPu0C1E

:D

Hannes

A WIP scifi animation I was starting before Michael mentioned the stormtroopers. Gonna replace some of the civil guys by troopers I guess.
Sorry again for the jerky movie. Sometimes the conversion from uncompressed AVI to MP4 works perfect and sometimes I get these jerky ones. >:(

Kadri

Looks great Hannes.
By the way your videos doesn't play jerky.It might be only on your side?

Kadri

Had a look at your last video. The frame rate looks odd; 37.
Maybe related? The one before is normal; 25 for example.

Hannes

37??  ???
That's weird! I'll take a look. Thanks, Kadri!

Oshyan

Your videos don't look jerky to me either. Maybe something wrong with your player? I use Daum Potplayer, works great.

The sci fi test looks very cool, good potential. The storm troopers slide a bit, but fix that and it would fit right in to Star Wars: Episode 2 - The Clone Wars, I'm sure. :D

- Oshyan

Kadri

I use VLC player.
I tried it with Media player classic, Windows media player and the Metro version (i don't know if they are really different).
Only VLC played it without stuttering.

Oshyan

Unsurprising. Windows Media Player pretty well sucks. Same engine in the Metro version I believe. It does sound like the video/encoding settings may be a bit non-standard, which might explain why VLC can handle it better. I like VLC as a playback system/engine, but the UI and controls suck compared to Potplayer.

- Oshyan

Kadri

VLC player is like a habit for me now.
Installed Media info.It shows the FPS as 25. VLC showed 37.
That is Odd too. Always a problem here or there.

TheBadger

VLC plays dang near anything well. Even plays corrupted files well enough. great free soft.

Hannes,
Looks like this will be a good one when you are done! Already fun to watch it develop.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Thanks guys, I'll check that. I usually transform my image sequences to AVI uncompressed in AE, then use Adobe Media Encoder to make an MP4 out of it.
The AVI plays perfectly smooth (Media player), but some (not all) MP4s that I made like I said play back jerky. I hate that!

The sliding feet are really annoying, but since I wasn't aware that you can create some simple crowd simulation in TG at all a few weeks ago, I'm quite happy with it. At the moment I have no idea how to fix that. The legs are simply rotating back and forth and I added some movement in height of the whole set and additionally a subtle back and forth movement. I'd really have to create separate populations for thighs, calfs and feet, but that would mean nine populations per character! And not to forget some more sets of them for offset animations. Overkill!

So, I'm afraid my name won't be in the final credits of the next SW movie  :(

...unless Matt marries J. J. Abrams, and I'm his best man...

Kadri

For the sliding you have to do what you wrote above and yeah that it is too much manual work.
You can do that i am sure (i mean what you wrote in big fonts) but really except if you have to do it absolutely for work etc.
I like very much what you have done already. Maybe in the next Alpha versions you can try more things?  :)