Exporting terrain question

Started by wtimmins, September 16, 2015, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtimmins

Hey there... wow. I remember using Terragen 10 years ago...

When exporting terrain as an obj or something, can you export or bake in procedural shaders?

Ashley

If you want to "bake" a procedural network at the end of the chain or at a point in the chain you can use a "heightfield generate" node. Right click and choose "save as".

Note:
You will need to set  "Position" and "Position center" to match the terrain in the "heightfield generate" node under the "Use shader" tab.

Kadri

Ashley i think he means exporting the textures.

For now you can't export them directly.
You have to use use an indirect way like position a camera over a certain part you want to export
or use the orthographic option in the camera node.
There are other threads about this if you use the search function for other threads about this.

wtimmins

Yes, I meant exporting textures.

I do most of my work in Daz Studio, so was considering powerful options to generate terrain. I don't own Terragen yet...
It STILL might be worth it for the untextured surfaces, and for HDRIs, though.

(I have a few images I love of my old Terragen Classic stuff from 10 years back. Heh)

Kadri

Don't know what you want to do but you could do it the other way around too by importing your objects into Terragen or comping.

Dune

Oshyan

Texture export is not currently an option, but we're looking at improving the export functions in the future. One strong possibility is vertex color export, which would be a good start.

- Oshyan

wtimmins

That would be awesome!

What's vertex color export?

Oshyan

Basically the system can assign a color to each vertex based on the texturing in Terragen and that gives some reasonable sense of the texturing baked into the model. At least it does when the geometry density is as high as Terragen's exports are.

http://oldwiki.polycount.com/VertexColor

- Oshyan

wtimmins

That sounds pretty darn spiff. Ok, now just need payday to come.