importing DEM causes instant crash of terragen 3...

Started by fxmodels, October 29, 2015, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxmodels

This kinda sucks because thats why I BOUGHT terragen3...

I assume I am supposed to import the DEM from the terrain screen and select import DEM? It seems pretty straightforward. It is a JP2 file I am bringing in which Terragen is supposed to understand...

RArcher

Are you sure the file is actually a DEM? JPEG 2000 (.jp2) is typically just an image format (often used for orthoimages) which you can generally load if you use the "Geog Image Map Shader"

Oshyan

If it is indeed a DEM we would definitely want to take a look at it. What's the source of the file?

- Oshyan

fxmodels

I am getting LROC data from the Lunar orbiter site just like in the page showing it in the new features for import/export....

fxmodels

I see Geog Image Map Shader in the shaders tabbut nothing where you expect it in the terrain tab... That doesnt work to load the file...

Maybe someone can tell me WHICH files load WHERE? I was on the LROC browser and obtained a file in JP2 format which preserves the heightfield differences. Its one of three formats available... One is IMG, then ArcGrid, and finally JP2. There is nothing in the DEM folders online with a suffix DEM. They are one of those others.

I simply want to produce segments of the moon as effortlessly as possible and T3 says it can do it. I cant find anything online to assist in this so any help would be just wonderful!

Oshyan

The data we show in that example is IMG or TIFF (GeoTIFF) format, like this:
http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_rdr_product/WAC_GLD100_E300N0450_256P
That's the more standard format for *height* "DEM" data.

I would suggest trying the IMG or ArcGrid options that you mention are available alongside the JP2.

If you can link us to the specific download(s) you're having trouble with we can try to figure out if they can be loaded in TG, and if so, how best to do so.

- Oshyan

fxmodels

Ok I thought it was JP2.... I am on that search page for RDR data ( dont know why that is important or not) but I see the GeoTIFF files for download as well as IMG files...  These just get loaded in the terrain tab as DEM?

Oshyan

GeoTIFF and IMG should both load in as DEMs. They will probably have georeferencing enabled by default, which means that they may not be visible right away if their position on the planet/moon is far away from where your camera is. You should make sure to scale the planet to moon-size, and then zoom out and navigate around the planet to find your terrain. Alternatively you can disable Georeferencing if you don't need the terrain to be in the correct position on the sphere.

- Oshyan

fxmodels

ok I see it in the heighmap thumbnail but as you say its elsewhere in the planet so I have to find the reference checkbox somewhere...
CLOSER! :)

Oshyan

To disable Georeferencing, look in the settings for the green Geog Heightfield Load node (it will be named for the loaded file and connected to the red Heightfield Shader, which will also have the name of the file loaded).

- Oshyan

fxmodels

Ok I can turn off georeferencing in the node and see the map on the heightfield thumbnail preview. It looks like the Moon. ... But when I render I still see the featureless gray of an empty lansccape. My Camera shows on the thumbnail as well with its FOV in the thumbnail. When I select copy the camera view to the current render camera and render I see nothing.

These are DEM files so am I supposed to bring this in through the Heightfield DEM load? Its there and visible in the heightfield little thumbnail view with the camera view superimposed but no render ever shows it... It CANT be this cryptic.. I must be making this way more complicated than it is.

Oshyan

So you're saying that when you render, there is no terrain shape/detail? Because the DEM does not include texturing, only height data, just to be clear. So the gray color of the terrain will remain, but you *should* see the height of the terrain change when you import data. And yes, you should be importing them using a Heightfield DEM Load.

- Oshyan

fxmodels

I managed to get this to work... Looks great... Now I am onto the Mars HiRise data dems... These do not import correctly and show a negative image essentially where its like looking at the surface upside down and with it being down in a deep trough .... Do you know of any way to import this Mars MOLA data?

Oshyan

MOLA and HiRise are different, just to be clear. MOLA can be loaded with the MOLA Map Shader (under Displacement Shaders). The HiRise data should be loadable with a Geog Heightfield Loader, i.e. "Heightfield (Load DEM)". Georeferencing it properly and blending it into the MOLA data can be difficult though. There's a user on the forums here, Mahnmut, who may be able to give you some advice. You might want to private message him. Here's his profile:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=2662

- Oshyan

fxmodels

when I loaded an IMG file from HiRise it came in inverted... in an deep well like it was in a deep tub. I think it was upside down too...