A very very sad news

Started by kaedorg, August 07, 2015, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Yes, it's interesting to feel connected to a person when all you know of them is text, and maybe images. But I would like to think I got a sense of him as a person through his communications, both public here on the forums, and privately on occasion. And while I never heard the sound of his voice, looked him in the eyes, or shook his hand, over his 15+ year time working with Terragen and sharing his creativity with us I do feel a connection developed. And it's that connection, and the person he was who made such connections, that I will miss.

- Oshyan

Ariel DK

I agree, beautiful words archonforest
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

stbc

Some of you may recall that back in 2004, Bob and I and Paul Clavette and Buzzzzz (Jay Testerman) and our families took a vacation together in Sedona, Arizona.  We spent a wonderful time hiking through the high desert, discussing Terragen, taking photos for future renders, and enjoying each others company.  All of us had met through Terragen and admired each others work, but it was Bob that started the ball rolling, planning the trip, and he was the glue that stuck us together, despite the fact that we had never met in person.  I had no doubt that we would all get along and indeed we did, famously.  It's a trip that I will never forget.  Bob had the biggest heart and smile and most gentle ways. What a treasure he was to this community and what a friend he was to everyone who took the time to get to know him, even if it was just by email. I will miss him terribly.

Dune

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: stbc on November 01, 2015, 08:49:53 PM
Some of you may recall that back in 2004, Bob and I and Paul Clavette and Buzzzzz (Jay Testerman) and our families took a vacation together in Sedona, Arizona.  We spent a wonderful time hiking through the high desert, discussing Terragen, taking photos for future renders, and enjoying each others company.  All of us had met through Terragen and admired each others work, but it was Bob that started the ball rolling, planning the trip, and he was the glue that stuck us together, despite the fact that we had never met in person.  I had no doubt that we would all get along and indeed we did, famously.  It's a trip that I will never forget.  Bob had the biggest heart and smile and most gentle ways. What a treasure he was to this community and what a friend he was to everyone who took the time to get to know him, even if it was just by email. I will miss him terribly.

Thanks for the story stbc.
Though still sad, it's great to hear you've had the pleasure of meeting him in person and getting to know him better.

I remember your nickname...still TG'ing?

kaedorg

Always nice to hear from Bob

David

inkydigit

Great memory to have stbc... I recall you all talking about it, way back then!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Jason

N-drju

I think I won't say anything new here but Robert helped me as well. I still have his solutions for night sky on my old machine including a great moon image map and he shared those with me, though we hardly knew each other. It's so sad to hear he's gone. May his soul find solace.

"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

stbc

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 02, 2015, 03:40:09 AM
Quote from: stbc on November 01, 2015, 08:49:53 PM

Thanks for the story stbc.
Though still sad, it's great to hear you've had the pleasure of meeting him in person and getting to know him better.

I remember your nickname...still TG'ing?

Indeed Martin, I am still doing renders from time to time for my own pleasure.  But, to be honest, while I had a good understanding of the original program, I cannot make TG2/3 do what I want.  I fear that my brain is not keeping up with the technology any longer.  Perhaps, if more people did tutorials like yours, I would be able learn enough to make better images, but until then I shall render in the privacy of my own home and will have to refuse to share my poor offerings!

Best to all,
Steve Courtright
stbc

stbc

Quote from: inkydigit on November 02, 2015, 05:03:34 AM
Great memory to have stbc... I recall you all talking about it, way back then!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Jason

You are more than welcome, Jason. 

gradient

Such sad news!

I've been away from Terragen for many years and just thought about starting again.  Saw the news over at Renderosity today.
Had many a discussion with Bob during our days at Rendo ( the days of Joshushund, stbc, markal, rids, christianfly, prutzworks, hillrunner, Buzzzzz, superior...and so many more) ...what a great guy and talented artist he was.

Will miss you Bob.