image quality with light rays

Started by Arkanias4, January 29, 2007, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironshirt

Hi!

Here is the 256 atmosphere samples version of the scene. I noticed that camera position has changed a little bit which is bad for comparision. But I hope you can see the difference anyhow...

Greetings

old_blaggard

The grain looks much better.  If you do feel like re-rendering this, I would recommend making the atmosphere samples even higher (maybe all the way to 512) and decrease the roughness a little in the clouds' density shader.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

I'm rather surprised there's still grain against the terrain. You do sometimes still see it in the sky, even with such high settings, but the terrain is usually much more forgiving. I wonder if there are other settings making this a difficult render for the system...

- Oshyan

bigben

Some cloud fractal settings can also contribute to noise. Smallest scale (try increasing) and Contrast (try decreasing) are a couple I've found to contribute. Roughness probably does too. Changing these will also change your clouds a bit... how much depends on your render settings. 

PG

Just one little thing, if your noticing a massive increase in render times then reduce GI settings to 0. you'll have to type it in. This removes the render pass with all the dots so it's a lot faster. I've always found the graininess annoying. never tried increasing atmo samples before. thankies.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures