4D noise in clouds for animation

Started by TheBadger, December 01, 2015, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Jon, I take this opportunity to say I'm glad you're here again  :)

TheBadger

Everything is working. ;D And it works just like I thought it was going to, before I lost my place and could not figure out how any of it worked ::)

Ok, and there was one interesting thing that I am not sure if it is a random coincidence or is how it will always work...

When I turned on the noise my clouds changed in the first frame (from what they were to more coverage.) And by the last frame the clouds appear to be just as they were before turning on the noise. I expected the opposite to happen, like moving the xyz. I guessed that I should use frame one as the reference frame. (no docs on this remember)

So is what I am describing what should have happened they way I described it, or what? So the first frame will be altered, and the rest will move the clouds back to the starting place? Or this is determined by the "reference frame", or?

It has been eaten.

Matt

The 4D noise will always be different from 3D noise, just as if you had chosen a different seed. If it looks similar on the last frame, that's just a coincidence.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

The "reference frame" is the frame at which changing the speed has no effect. For example, if the reference frame is 1, then frame 1 will look the same no matter what you choose for the noise speed. This is like the starting line, if we continue the analogy of a car travelling along a road. Every other frame will be calculated according to the time difference from this frame. The shape of the noise depends on the time difference multiplied by the noise speed.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on December 04, 2015, 02:27:18 PM
The "reference frame" is the frame at which changing the speed has no effect. For example, if the reference frame is 1, then frame 1 will look the same no matter what you choose for the noise speed. This is like the starting line, if we continue the analogy of a car travelling along a road. Every other frame will be calculated according to the time difference from this frame. The shape of the noise depends on the time difference multiplied by the noise speed.

Matt

Great, that answers my unasked query...thanks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

It has been eaten.