Getting Very Fricking Frustrated! GRRRRRRRRR

Started by Buzzzzz, August 29, 2007, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzzzz

After 13 hours this is what I get out of TG.

Rendering @ 1500x1125 Very little displacement "3.6 lateral normalized" in base colors. .9 quality, 4AA and Atmo quality at 75.
Using a 4097 ter. import.
Only 3 surface layers with default displacement.
No image map shaders.
Only 1 TGO Object.
1 water plane with a Power Fractal Shader attached for color only. I disabled the displacement.

This is a Very simple water scene and after the sky finishes and the water starts to render I get this error and I lose 13 hours of computer time, wear and tear on my cpu and whatever the power consumption is.

My guess is the problem is in the water plane. Yeah I know disable the fractal shader attached to the water shader. NO!

All the crop previews rendered fine as did the full 800x600

WHERE IS THE UPDATE WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE GETTING???? 

PS- If Planetside wants the tgd they will ask for it.

Does anyone know the meaning of Insanity? Well I do, It's  Doing the Same thing over and over and expecting different results.  I guess I'm fricking Nutts.

Opps! forgot the screen shot.

cyphyr

I share your pain!
Too often I'm getting cool results only to have to give up and start a new project because I cant render the final image properly or it simply crashes. Come on Planetside, we know you can do it, sort out these problems...please :'(
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Buzzzzz,

I understand.  I've worked on a lot of special renders that weren't that special that rendered fine at a low resolution only to blow up at a higher resolution.  My computer is strewn with the TGD ruins of tired efforts.  Time to clean my hard-drive.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

Buzzzzz,

I know this may only be like putting a band-aid on a bloody stump, mainly because I don't know how extensive you water is. I have found that using a disc and placing it where I want it, then applying the water shader to it sometimes helps the crashing. My thoght is that you are placing water only where you need it and not the whole planet, which Terragen seem to need to calculate.  Just a thought. :)

Volker Harun

sonshine777: Nice idea. TG2 is already doing this. The lake is a disc with a certain centre and radius ,-)

Buzzzzz: PatPatPat  ;D

Buzzzzz

Quote from: sonshine777 on August 29, 2007, 10:30:45 AM
Buzzzzz,

I know this may only be like putting a band-aid on a bloody stump, mainly because I don't know how extensive you water is. I have found that using a disc and placing it where I want it, then applying the water shader to it sometimes helps the crashing. My thoght is that you are placing water only where you need it and not the whole planet, which Terragen seem to need to calculate.  Just a thought. :)

I"ll give that a try. Good idea! What really makes me boil is I have to re-render the sky which took 13 hours.

Buzzzzz

Volker Harun

Like patting a fury pet?

The sky has grain, cloud samples - not atmospheric - should be raised.

Volker

Harvey Birdman

I think it was a sympathetic pat on the back.

:)

sjefen

Well.... I think Planetside have this day and to more days before the next release if I have figured it out.
I am not having any big problems with it as it is, but I can understand your frustration.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 29, 2007, 10:41:14 AM
Like patting a fury pet?

The sky has grain, cloud samples - not atmospheric - should be raised.

Volker

Yeah , I saw that, upper left. Lets see give TG more strain. LOL 

Thanks for the sympathy, that was nice but what I need is a stable piece of software. LOL  ;D

Volker Harun

Well, the error that encountered is rather a hardware than software issue. At least I was able to get rid off these kind of crashes by changing the memory. That was on one hardware. The other counting-machines never had crashed like this.
The crashes I encountered thereafter were only frozen GUI.

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 29, 2007, 10:48:45 AM
Well, the error that encountered is rather a hardware than software issue. At least I was able to get rid off these kind of crashes by changing the memory. That was on one hardware. The other counting-machines never had crashed like this.
The crashes I encountered thereafter were only frozen GUI.

So I need to buy 4 GB of different memory? You want to loan me the money? LOL

I have ran extensive memory tests on this memory with no errors.

I see Matt is in the house, maybe he will chime in?

Volker Harun

It does not have to be the memory. I looked at your image again. The library that caused the problem is the ntdll.dll
Google for it. As far as I know it is doing some read/write stuff on harddiscs. But it is not my proffession.

Matt

I'm sorry you're running into these crashes Jay. Some rendering problems have been fixed in the alpha versions and will be released in the next few days, but some problems still remain.

Although I have not been able to completely eliminate these crashes so far, the problem seems to lie in a part of the renderer which is currently being ripped out and redesigned in order to improve speed, memory use and also the ability to render transparency and more accurate reflections.

We'll send updates to registered Deep customers in the next few days, and post a reminder here on the forums in case there are any email delivery problems.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.