Real Glow on an Object

Started by Erwin0265, February 29, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Hi all,
I'm trying to get an effect on an imported OBJ but just can't get the effect working.
I'm trying to get a glowing effect akin to a glowing light panel.
Using a Default shader, I have played with the luminosity, reflectivity, reflection tint and index of reflection; all to no avail. BTW, I used the default shader as that is what was associated with the OBJ on import (I had to reload all of the texture images for other parts of the model but the "glowing blue" parts do not have an associated image file; I hope that makes sense).
I have attached a few jpg's to show what I am after (a promo image) as well as the best I have been able to achieve.
Any suggestions?
OK, who farted?

N-drju

Erwin, do you want light panels that actually cast a glow on surrounding surfaces? Do I get this right?

Or do you simply want panels that 'look' bright?

Have you tried altering GI values? This way you can get the shadows less accentuated and the lights and bouncing lights more visible. Increasing luminosity to some extreme values may work but is not nearly as effective.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Klas

Set the Luminosity on the blue_glowing shader to colour light blue and a the value to something like 50 or 100.

Oshyan

Luminosity would need to be set very high. The slider value 0-1 is just the "suggested"/default values. Try in the 100s as Klas mentioned.

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

I did some testing last night and found that, not only did I need to increase the luminosity values but also the Diffuse colour.
So rather than setting the diffuse colour as I wanted and leaving the value set to 1; I had to raise that value to 100 and also do something similar for the luminosity value.
For anyone that may be interested in the settings and their effect, I have attached a screengrab of my test renders along with a text file describing the settings (all settings are using the default shader's Colour tab).
Anyone wanting clarification on anything; just ask..........

[attachimg=1]
OK, who farted?

N-drju

That's very useful and kind of you to share. Thanks! How about putting that into tutorial section on Planetside Wiki? :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

AP

Thank you for doing such an extensive series of tests as it certainly shows what can be done with a glow effect. It looks like a nice combination of Neon, LED, and Fluorescent lights.

AP

Quote from: N-drju on March 02, 2016, 07:26:48 AM
That's very useful and kind of you to share. Thanks! How about putting that into tutorial section on Planetside Wiki? :)

That seems like a good idea if each image has a label near it listing each setting. Maybe even an animated GIF would be better?

N-drju

Erwin0265

I'm happy to reformat this as a more descriptive "guide", but it's not really a tutorial; rather, an exploration (of sorts).
As for the animated gif; I haven't a clue how to create one of those but happy to learn if someone can instruct me.
I would prefer the gif to be additional, however, as I find separate images more useful myself, so I imagine there would also be others with a similar preference.
OK, who farted?

AP

If you can add the description to each example, i can make an animated GIF. That to can go to the WIKI.

Erwin0265

OK.
I'll create the "guide" and we can take it from there and see what we can put together............
OK, who farted?

AP

Erwin0265

OK,
I've put together a tutorial in Word with all of the test renders, an explanation of the settings and copious amounts of gibberish.
Now how do I get that in the tutorial section?
And, I assume that you (Chris) will be needing a copy of all of the test renders to compile into an animated gif?
I'll be interested to see how this goes as I wrote 2 other tutorials for the tutorial section (Xfrog plant conversion in PoseRay and another in Cinema4D) but nothing eventuated from them (although I do refer to them when I gain forget how I did things the last time...... :D)............
I can upload the tutorial and the test renders to Sendspace and post a link here but that still makes it difficult for others to find and it would be nice to see something new in the tutorial section............
OK, who farted?

TheBadger

you can log-in to the wiki. Also post it here as a pdf or preferably as an image file. You should probably post it a few times to make sure it gets to people, i would guess.

I think PS' preference is that people use the TG wiki pages.
It has been eaten.