AMD Open Sources Professional GPU-Optimized Photorealistic Renderer

Started by Kadri, July 29, 2016, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Saw this on the Lightwave forum.
Interesting:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-open-sources-2016jul25.aspx

The 3DMax plugin is out. Others will fallow later. Hmm...thinking of downloading a demo of Max.
3Dmax users, anyone ready to try and comment on this?

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/radeonpro/radeon-prorender-technology/

https://radeon-prorender.github.io/

TheBadger

Any idea what the user cost will be like on this?
I only have a hand held right now, so maybe not seeing it. But I had been looking at videos of banks of GPUs for rendering a while back. Was very interested in it, now this op looks like the first public availability that I have seen yet. Very much want to know more, but deeply frustrating trying to read up on this tiny ass screen.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

"Any idea what the user cost will be like on this?"

If you mean the price, this is free. You can download it as a plugin right now if you fallow the last link.
Here is it Michael (for 3DS Max) :

https://github.com/Radeon-ProRender/max/releases

It is Beta of course.

I am just now downloading the free educational version of 3DS Max just out of curiosity.
Hope that version isn't restricted for this kind of plugins.

What are you doing by the way. No see lately much around Michael?

Kadri

Curious how much of a help this would for Matt if he does have the time
and determination of adding GPU rendering to Terragen or for anyone who can use a SDK.

TheBadger

"Free" ha! I'll take it ;D
Funny too, cuz my next deskto will in fact be a pc, so maybe I'll at last be able to use some of the free soft that helps fill in gaps between major applications. Sure as hell wold be nice to get max for the free plugins alone! But alas it will take a bit more time .

Thanks for asking kadri :) been working a lot trying to get ahead a bit while the world falls apart. I check in here every few days to see what's being discussed. But my desk top died, so not much can be done for fun. Ordered a refurbished Mac to try and save all the work I have on my broke one :'(
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: Kadri on July 29, 2016, 08:21:20 PM

and determination of adding GPU rendering to Terragen or for anyone who can use a SDK.

Yeah, not going to hold my breath on a new render engine for TG.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on July 29, 2016, 08:32:18 PM

Yeah, not going to hold my breath on a new render engine for TG.

Me too, but who knows :)

Sorry for the computer problem. Wish you will get up and running soon Michael.

TheBadger

Thanks me too. Feel a 3D binder coming on, but no way now to feed the need.
It has been eaten.

Matt

We're going to trial integration of FireRays into Terragen at some point during 4.x, I think. This would just be a replacement of the ray-geometry intersection part of the renderer, similar to how TG4 Beta currently uses Embree for this purpose.

FireRays is one of the components that goes into ProRender (or FireRender, depending on where you get your info!). Integrating ProRender would be a bigger job and we're not planning to do that.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

I saw you edited your post a little Matt. Just for clarification. Will we still get some kind of GPU acceleration ?

Matt

If the integration works out, yes. FireRays uses OpenCL to take advantage of both CPU and GPU, and is apparently very carefully optimised for various combinations of devices.

Matt

Matt