Rock surface

Started by domdib, January 20, 2010, 05:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Here is the .tgd - and also a clip file - from this thread - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8622.0

I thought I'd include a node shot and a few comments, just so you can hit the ground running.

The main motivation for this file was to create a rock surface with displacements at a range of scales, plus convincing colours. To do this, I used two powerful tools that are already available: glen5700's Fractalized Voronoi (not visible because it's HUGE!) and Volker Harun's OneforAll; plus the great spirit of sharing on these boards that has given me some small clue on how to use redirect and tune power fractals.

The main places to go for tuning:
- Displacement tab of the three power fractals feeding into the Redirect - value currently set at 5, but I've had reasonable results pushing it as far as 15.
- over all displacement (not visible - it's on the bottom left of the Voronoi Fractalized) Set at 1, but can be pushed further - also, I've disabled two of the octaves that could be reactivated if desired
- Roughen surface Displacement tab multiplier set at 2 can be pushed further (driven by OneforAll). Also, if you want a smoother look, switch on the Intersect Underlying in Effects, with Smoothing set to 0.85

There's also two fake stone shaders that are currently disabled. The first (displ-medium) produces negative fake stones, i.e. small holes, which is an effect that might not be to everyone's taste - I didn't have time to try this, but I suspect using a painted shader to apply this selectively might be the best idea. The second (with the attached Reflective shader) produces the specular highlights that give a slightly shiny look - this increases render time significantly.

Have fun!

Henry Blewer

Thank you for all your work on this. I will be examining this closely. :)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Thanks very much, Domdib. Interesting to see how you got this so nice.

Tangled-Universe

Zairyn Arsyn

another one for the list....

thanks for sharing your nodes  :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Thank you Dominic for adding this on NWDA CS as well :)
best regards,
Frank

domdib

My pleasure Frank. It's just nice to give something back after learning so much from this great community.

DannyG

Very nice, my heads a bit spinning from the network, time will sort that out, thanks for sharing

Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

wow...when I miss one it's a good one...glad I found this thread. Amazing network you've made and will take some time for me to absorb but lately that's what I have most of so many thanks Dominic
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist