Rock testing

Started by René, September 03, 2016, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I had some nice results using this technique. I think these would be harder to achieve otherwise, at least without using blue nodes.

Dune

Yes, these mesa are really cool. I thought you'd built them up using huge fake stones on a pillar (something I'm doing right now).

René

I cheated a little; after dozens of procedural tryouts I decided to use a displacement map made in Photoshop for the terrain. Fake stones might have worked to.

Dune

Aha. Painted in the separate RGB channels in a 32-bit tiff?

René

No, simple black and white. Most of the large displacements are done with textures. For the talus I used a second planet.

Dune

So basically a simple vertical/normal displacement, not really vector disp. You could have fun trying to copy this to the G channel of a 32-bit tiff, and then do some additional splashes in the R and B channels, see what comes out in a vector displacement setup.
Second planet for the talus figures, though with some color adjust in the basic mask you can have 2 displacement values and make the talus on one planet. A bit more cumbersome, though.

bobbystahr

1 and 7 of the originals are my favorites but they're all great. Thanks also for the method work through in graphic form...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hetzen

I really like that Mesa.

Jo Kariboo

1-2-6 for me and the mesa are excellent!

luvsmuzik

I tried that mesa image method a couple of times. I did a vertical adjust on height field operator. Is the proper way to displace vertical? For example, I have the image below in just about every file format possible. In the old days we exported and imported terrain from and into Terragen in lots of ways. Remembering the brighter the white the more height? (I was gonna do a crop circle thing, haha) I now may try to make an object out of it, ha!

I like what you are doing here and it gives me lots to further experiment with. Thank you!

DannyG

Glad to see you over here in the Forums Rene
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

is the mesa.jpg a photo or a render?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on September 06, 2016, 02:30:35 AM

It is a render. Thus we wanted him here around too Michael :)

Hannes

Quote from: TheBadger on September 06, 2016, 02:30:35 AM

This is what I call a compliment!!!! ;)

René

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 05, 2016, 07:34:43 PM
I tried that mesa image method a couple of times. I did a vertical adjust on height field operator. Is the proper way to displace vertical? For example, I have the image below in just about every file format possible. In the old days we exported and imported terrain from and into Terragen in lots of ways. Remembering the brighter the white the more height? (I was gonna do a crop circle thing, haha) I now may try to make an object out of it, ha!

I like what you are doing here and it gives me lots to further experiment with. Thank you!

Actually I didn't use a heightfield, just a displaced image map shader. :)