Rocks, sand, dirt

Started by Martin, December 04, 2016, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on December 08, 2016, 01:37:19 AM
Yes, the pace of experimentation and iteration is really something! :D Reminds me of when Chinaski was active...

Martin, to fix the tops being cut off of large displacements, you can try increasing Displacement Tolerance in the Planet node settings. A value of 2 should fix it, or at least significantly improve it. It does increase render time though.

- Oshyan
Oh Thanks! I will check it! I didn't even think about to check the main planet node.
They were smaller, 4-5 meter tall boulders but yeah, with a lot of displacement. It was too much for terragen it seems. I remember having problems like this when I made big km tall rock formations in the past.
I have to work now so I render random pictures in the backgrounds. I mixed together all these shaders I made, so on the planet there are part of big sand dunes, dry carcked dird plains, forests and grassy hills, different types of rocks and cliffs. So I just go around on the planet and when I find something interesting I render it. I will post some pics later.
I think this is the fun part in terragen- to make entire worlds  you can explore. I love the procedural  workflow. It gives you freedom! :)

Martin

remade the cliffwall shaders-
in one node network there's a voronoi diff mix based displacement, simple perlin billow based displacement, voronoi cell mix displacement, and voronoi diff mix colour-adjusted to look like cracks. And then these are all mixed together with big masks.
I made a few different renders with only one of them switched on- on the same hill. Plus lateral only and normal displacement versions.

Strangely when the Y coordinate is stretched, it doesn't show up in the displacement. I mean no vertical like displacements. I don't really understand why. The x-z stretching work

Dune

Don't forget that the vertically displaced fractal are like pillars, not like long walls, so on a sloping ground, you wouldn't see the stretching. If the ground were near 90º then you'd see it alright.

Martin

Quote from: Dune on December 08, 2016, 10:49:40 AM
Don't forget that the vertically displaced fractal are like pillars, not like long walls, so on a sloping ground, you wouldn't see the stretching. If the ground were near 90º then you'd see it alright.

Hmm, even if I use lateral only displacement? It worked last time. Probably it was a really steep hill.
Here's all of the different displacement masked into one.

Dune

See it as a white column vertically transecting the sloping mountain; it will only displace lateral where the white hits the ground, so yes.

DannyG

digging this tread, nice work man !
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

zaxxon

Some nice experimentation and interesting results.

Martin

Thanks everyone!

Didn't have much time for further experimentation, so I just shot a few renders with the existing shaders on some random tower structures.

Also a question:
I know it comes up frequently, but what's the reason behind not having different types of voronoi noises in terragen yet? Like manhattan, f1-f2, Chebyshev. I saw them in different programs, and they're probably 3d noises, so is there a problem implementing these in terragen?  Or you have to pay for the use of these equations in a software?

Martin

More renders after some tweaking.
(Interesting thing has happened- I use the same 25 inch monitor for drawing on my laptop and for rendering on my workstation. Just checked terragen and how's the newest render is coming and noticed that the same picture I posted here looks darker on my laptop- but on the same monitor. So probably there's some colour scheme on the win10 on that pc that makes everything a little brighter.
So yeah, I think it's more than likely that my renders are a bit too dark on other machines.

Martin

and the rest

luvsmuzik

This last series is great! Did you throw some strata in there? Are you displacing a WM load or a TG fractal terrain from scratch? Looks good.

bobbystahr

Awesome work...next some context as you seem to have your tool box working well....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on December 10, 2016, 11:52:14 AM
This last series is great! Did you throw some strata in there? Are you displacing a WM load or a TG fractal terrain from scratch? Looks good.

No, actually it's the same voronoi cell displacement as before:) Just stretched in the x-z coordinates to make it look like strata, and 4 different scales of noise is mixed together to make a "fake" fractal.
The terrain is a reallly simple one- the base terrain with smaller lead in scale, that's all.smallest scale is 20 mters, so every detail is the displacement. But I used the old rock texture- shader I made for the smaler rocks, so I will make a new one more "cliff" like.

Martin

Well, the new texture is ready. I used those famous Chinese mountains as reference. Also it seems Christmas has arrived in terragen haha

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on December 10, 2016, 10:56:01 PM
Well, the new texture is ready. I used those famous Chinese mountains as reference. Also it seems Christmas has arrived in terragen haha

these are IMHO, your best yet. I know of those mountains and they're a great source of inspiration for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist