Windstream

Started by Lucio, September 15, 2007, 07:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

Sometime ago I've seen on a book a striking photograph of the Auiguille Noire du Peuterey under a strong wind, in the Alps. There was a sort of cloud formation streaming over the major crest, it was really marvelous and amazed me.

I thought about it for a while then I started to think how could I reproduce something similar on TG2. It was quite difficult because TG2 (almost actually) doesn't manage 3d clouds and cannot get a very accurate control over cloud placement. I'm not so familiar with functions, so I decided to utilize image mapping: I rendered many orthogonal projections of a black and white cloud density shader at high resolution, then remodeled them in Photoshop to give every layer the shape I wanted. The concept was to create a cloud formation with an accurate '3d volume' that follows the exact model I had in mind, and to do this I overlayed multiple cloud layers in the scene, like a cross section of an object. Something like that:

The shapes were modeled directly on Photoshop over an orthogonal projection of the terrain, then I placed them with the right coordinates in the scene, as density shaders for the clouds. There are six cloud layers in total.

And this is the final result:

Well, maybe doesn't seem anything particular, but I worked a lot on it :)

I'm trying to do many versions in Photoshop with different contrast, colour balance, little corrections etc. I'm undecided and can't manage to get a final version that completely satisfies me. I'm not an expert in post processing so I have to experiment a lot.

Any comment, hint and critic is very welcome, as always!

Regards,

Lucio

Will

Wonderful! I though It was a photo at first.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!! :o   I don't know what to say! That is without a doubt one of the most amazing TG renders ever made.

cyphyr

Wow this is amazing, I thought I was going to scroll down past your reference shot to find the terragen one! Faultless! :D

I'm actually working on a scene very similar to this at the moment but yours is way ahead of where I'm at. I like your image masking technique, I had thought on similar lines but never got around to testing the theory.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

old_blaggard

Very nice.  These clouds remind me of some stuff I saw while hiking in the alps.  The landscape is very realistic, but I think you could really go far with the clouds here by adding more detail.  This is a great render so far, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

Did some quick post, hope you don't mind.

Lucio

Oh no, thank you Will! it's an interesting version. I encourage any other post-pro effort over my work :)

o_b: I agree with you, I already noticed that while the final render was completing. Maybe I've also increased too much some edge sharpness. I'll try to do something better now.

I would like to enhance a bit the contrast between darker and brighter regions of my cumulus without recurring to post, I played with many parameters but cannot come to a real solution. Do you have any hint?

Volker? ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Don't mind, it's a question between me and him)

Seth

that's amazing !!!
it really looks like a real picture !
congratulations for this !

Harvey Birdman

Come on, Lucio - if you don't stop raising the bar no-one will ever catch up.

;D

Makes me want to go climb something.   :)

zionner

Nice Lucio!

I wish i understood the factors you use in things like this  :'(

Again Really well done!

efflux

Nice idea and result. The only thing I would say is that perhaps the pinkish colouring in the clouds is a little strong.

Kevin F

The clouds and landscape are amazing, but can nobody else see the banding in the sky?
Kevin.

Seth

Will

I do thats why I did the post and blurred it out.