Tip for Painted shader

Started by bobbystahr, February 16, 2018, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Often when I use the Painted shader for a river, well always if it's deep, I get ugly displacement on the sides....well the newish Smoothing shader nicely eliminates those. I just put it between the Painted and Displacement  shaders and tweaked till I was happy.

Oh yeah, you're welcome heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Yeah, that's indeed a problem and I have encountered it numerous times too. Now, when I'm making rivers, I usually use slightly warped simple shape shaders, because they have an in-built smoothing system. Less control over where the river is going, but a worthy solution too.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on February 17, 2018, 01:54:49 AM
Yeah, that's indeed a problem and I have encountered it numerous times too. Now, when I'm making rivers, I usually use slightly warped simple shape shaders, because they have an in-built smoothing system. Less control over where the river is going, but a worthy solution too.

I hear ya but the kind of river I was attempting is a y forking into a lake creating an little island. Will post it when it's done rendering...and they're very hard to get working with SS shaders

And I know Dune will suggest image maps that he often uses but I wanted to stay in TG only.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

Great idea Bobby, I'll certainly be nickin it!

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on February 17, 2018, 07:17:25 AM
Great idea Bobby, I'll certainly be nickin it!

you're moist welcome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New