Hannes' Cliff WIPs

Started by Hannes, January 19, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Agreed, the arch is really well integrated!

mhaze

SILENCER

cyphyr

Very nicely done. Reminds me of the rock arch over the  River in France.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

Looks like it could be Messas Arch in Utah.  8)

Hannes

I have to google those. Thanks guys. :)

But here is another problem, and maybe a bug (?)
The arch, which is a displaced sphere, doesn't cast a proper shadow. I realized that, when I compared the images with the imported one with the actual ones.
I did a test with this arch alone (see image below) and tried a lot of things to make the shadow correct. After I searched the forum for answers I found something about negative displacements and offsets. So I made sure to have no negative ones and all offsets are set to 0. No luck.
Then I changed the "rendering method": as you can see "force displacement" messes up the faces, but creates at least the middle shadow part. Anyway it looks weird, so I set the arch's rendering method back to default, but it stays messed up.

I also unchecked "raytrace objects" and "Do raytraced shadows" (not that I really knew, what I was doing... ;)), but nothing helped.

In case someone wants to test it on his own, the preset pack containing the rock arch is available here:
https://planetside.co.uk/free-downloads/terragen-presets-pack-volume1/

First, is there any way to make the displaced internal object cast correct shadows, and why isn't the object's displacement method resettable?

cyphyr

Terrible hack but could you create a non-rendering card/plane object (in the same location) with a silhouette of the arch on it and set that to cast shadows.

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

Have you tried increasing the Displacement Tolerance in the planet node?

Hannes

Just tried it. I used a tolerance of 10 instead of 1, didn't work. But rendertime increased by a factor of 10 as well...

Anyway, thanks for the tip, Jon! :)

Dune

I think the same problem occurs when using VDISP, at least I think I noticed something like that recently (but didn't really pay attention).

Hannes

This is really annoying! I populated some hanging plants onto the arch, and you see the plants' shadows, but not the arch's.

mhaze

I wonder if it's the same bug that is causing my waterfall not to reflect?

Hannes

Quote from: cyphyr on March 04, 2018, 11:25:12 AM
Terrible hack but could you create a non-rendering card/plane object (in the same location) with a silhouette of the arch on it and set that to cast shadows.

Just saw your comment, Richard, thanks!!. That would be a compromise, but I don't know, if that would be OK with the rules.

DannyG

Quote from: Hannes on March 04, 2018, 01:12:11 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on March 04, 2018, 11:25:12 AM

Just saw your comment, Richard, thanks!!. That would be a compromise, but I don't know, if that would be OK with the rules.

I don't see an issue with the rules, you are rendering the invisible card within TG. All elements are being rendered within Terragen. You're good to go if you decide to go that route Hannes ^^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Hannes

Cool!!!

But that was a tough one. I rendered out the silhouette of the arch, put it as an opacity map onto a sphere, and no matter what I did, I got a strange shadow gap even where there was shadow without the plane.
So I used this shadow map and created a spline object out of that in Max, converted it into a mesh and used this one as shadow object. I hope this is OK with the rules as well, since I'm rendering something quite similar to the previous invisible card in TG.