Dune's cliff

Started by Dune, January 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on March 06, 2018, 09:33:31 AM
It might be a matter of taste. Both, the cliffs and the mud part look insanely good, if you take them separately, but to me they still don't fit scalewise.. I always have the impression that the cliff is a miniature. But maybe it's just my impression...
Killer work here.
I can also see the scale issue...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

>:( :( ??? :-\ :'(

Still in this version? I don't see it, but if you all do, it must be me.

Hannes

This one is waaaay better. Only the boulders look a bit like pebbles. It might look better without them. I think...

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on March 06, 2018, 11:12:10 AM
This one is waaaay better. Only the boulders look a bit like pebbles. It might look better without them. I think...

Yes great update. Agree with the boulders.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Maybe less and closer to the cliffs, I'll try.

cyphyr

This one is way better. Not a fan of the rig but that is immaterial to the quality of the image.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

I needed something to compare scale with, but I could think of something else maybe. Gulls, more trees, lighthouse...

These guys won't help much  ;)

luvsmuzik

That mud is so realistically gooey, you would certainly sink right in. I suppose scaled down to 1/10th it is just too tight and loses all your wonderful detail. I agree it doesn't fit but I have not seen a reference, so you could be spot on.

Cliff is another masterpiece.

Sorry, you posted twice since I saw the latest. This is better mud. :)

cyphyr

Quote from: Dune on March 07, 2018, 01:41:37 AM
I needed something to compare scale with, but I could think of something else maybe. Gulls, more trees, lighthouse...

These guys won't help much  ;)

How about one of your historical ships all rotted away with just the "bones" of the ship showing. Or you could do a petrified forest, just the stumps maybe.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

I had one of my bony shipwrecks in, but it was pretty small in comparison to the cliff, so hard to see. Maybe I put it back in, but you can't really know what size it is. Got a ruin now, but still experimenting with better cliff textures/displacements.

Dune

Updated without the rig, but a ruin instead. Rockface is no good, but I might replace by the rocks of the second render. In that one I tried an arch like Hannes did to see whether I got the shadow issue... but I didn't. Just all normal. But I bent this sphere down, so maybe it's worse if you bend sideways....

Dune

Nice refs, thanks. I may have the sea coming in again, but my main point is a more appropriate cliff.

Gannaingh

Very nice! I really like the color variation you have in your cliff surface; it's very natural looking.