Another stab at it

Started by bobbystahr, March 10, 2018, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Well, I am doggedly pursuing this and in a stroke of perhaps madness I decided to make a mask from a multi coloured Painted shader, well white, very light, .25 power and white at 1,  plus a full red stroke and this is the terrain. The renders are from opposite ends of one of the canyons that happened. I used the map as a Mask for the Fractal Warp, and Distribution shaders for everything else. I've attached a screen grab of the Painted shader and a top view of the terrain with cameras. C&C moist welcome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

If you're using the painted shader anyway, you can add some caves here and there. Just paint them in on the canyon sides and feed into minus displacement shader, after a compute terrain, or look where it should be moved to and use a vector displacement shader, without the compute terrain.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 11, 2018, 12:54:25 AM
If you're using the painted shader anyway, you can add some caves here and there. Just paint them in on the canyon sides and feed into minus displacement shader, after a compute terrain, or look where it should be moved to and use a vector displacement shader, without the compute terrain.

Just in from a friend's gig..good time....Hadn't thought of caves...tired now but there's always morning...thanks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Looks good! Painted shader mask. Thanks for the explanation on how and what to apply and mask. I never had much luck with a tiff terrain, but that looks pretty decent. Canyon walls look smooth as opposed to spikey like my tiffs turn out.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 11, 2018, 11:09:44 AM
Looks good! Painted shader mask. Thanks for the explanation on how and what to apply and mask. I never had much luck with a tiff terrain, but that looks pretty decent. Canyon walls look smooth as opposed to spikey like my tiffs turn out.

no .tiff involved, just the paintd shader mask, the top down is a view of the results
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 11, 2018, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 11, 2018, 11:09:44 AM

no .tiff involved, just the paintd shader mask, the top down is a view of the results

That's what I meant. You were able to raise the terrain where you wanted and it mixes with your fractal. Did you ever use TerraPainter in the older TG?  It had different brushes to do similar to what you have done here. Great job!

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 11, 2018, 06:42:04 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on March 11, 2018, 06:31:12 PM

That's what I meant. You were able to raise the terrain where you wanted and it mixes with your fractal. Did you ever use TerraPainter in the older TG?  It had different brushes to do similar to what you have done here. Great job!

Oh yeah for sure, that was it's first attraction for me as I was trying to do an animation in Imagine but couldn't sculpt the terrain adequately.  I managed it using the .lwo export IIRC and joined and reduced the poly count in Imagine. Soon's I figured it all out the project ran out of cash and died a whimpering death. such is life.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I started again, am pleased where this is heading, and I may just make the deadline depending on how much this can be improved.
I used my scattershot technique to get this far just throwing things at it till something turned up. C&C very much desired/required!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bla bla 2

Try with the vortex ? Is cool the picture.

bobbystahr

O K, here's what I think I'm going with. There's an overview, the main render and a 'context' render so you can get a sense of scale.
I actually like it quite a lot as well....the jury's out so we'll see.....C&C welcome.
Both are fairly low AA, maybe 3 I forget, so the objects may show up better at 8 or 12 AA
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

WHOA....futuristic with an old bug! Nice concept! :)

Dune

That's pretty exceptional.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 17, 2018, 02:22:33 AM
That's pretty exceptional.

You're too kind heh heh..strata on steroids.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

I love it! Bones of, "Mother earth from the ground" has real potential.

Hannes

Wow, especially the second one is cool!